A better location for the XM antenna

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
I have finally installed an XM system in my car. I was at first reluctant because I was really turned off by the ugly black wort of an antenna that I had to place on the roof.
However, I tried mounting it right next to the stock antenna on the passenger-side fender and the reception has not suffered one bit.
This installation is much more pleasing to the eye since this location is already cluttered by the antenna and the black wiper garnish, the XM antenna fits in well.

Just thought I would pass this along.

-Jon

CyberDaveA

Established Member
I installed the XM Commander in my car, and I opted to place the antenna inside the back window area...

xm.jpg

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by CyberDaveA
I installed the XM Commander in my car, and I opted to place the antenna inside the back window area...

xm.jpg

That is exactly where some of my friends have installed it.

edslowey

Established Member
What about the receiver? Do you replace the Mach 360 head or does it interface somehow?

Thanks for the pics, btw

Kobraah

Established Member
Anybody got any good suggestions for mounting options for a convertbile?

Juiced-03

Established Member
Would placing the antenna like in the pic above be a bad idea if that window was tinted? Or would the tint not have any effect on reception?

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
Would placing the antenna like in the pic above be a bad idea if that window was tinted? Or would the tint not have any effect on reception?

I want to know this too.

Jason

CyberDaveA

Established Member
Originally posted by edslowey
What about the receiver? Do you replace the Mach 360 head or does it interface somehow?

Thanks for the pics, btw

I bought the XM Commander, which included the reciever, antenna and a controller unit... all for 150 bucks. I have the controller mounted at the top of my front window (next to the rear view mirror). I made a custom bracket using suction cups to keep it in place, and I've been very happy with the unit.

XM Commander:
http://www.xmradio.com/commander/

CyberDaveA

Established Member
btw... I still have the mach cd changer in place.... you just have to plug your car antenna into the xm reciever, and then plug the reciever to the antenna plug at the back of the mach cd player. Then you switch to FM 97.4 and it plays the xm satelite stations.

As far as tint goes... I'm 95% sure that tint won't affect the reception. The only time I lose reception is when I drive into like a bank teller area where there is a roof overhead, or rarely if I pass by a huge tree (goes to static for 1/2 a second... no biggie)

Ever since I installed the Commander I haven't listen to any of my cd's and I haven't listened to my local radio stations ever. XM has some awesome channels and there is a great variety of music. Best money I've ever spent

dragula

Established Member
I have the Sirius Plug & Play (FM modulator) with the antenna placed above the front windshield on my 03 vert. The Plug & Play unit blows and so does the FM modulator. (Don’t get me wrong, I love satellite radio—best non-performance item I’ve ever bought.) First, the Plug & Play gets loose after so many switches and now, as lame as it is, I have a ****ing rubber band around the unit!!! Also the FM modulator, although it’s a nice idea, sucks; static, stations fade in and out blah, blah I’ve had enough, so this Thursday I’m taking it in to have it hard-wired with a Kenwood, and the installer says he has a good idea for the antenna. I’ll let you know what he comes up with.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
my sirius ant is in my rear window too sitting on my rear deck.. Works great and never have problems.

Users who are viewing this thread