a/c clutch repair

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
I was wondering if anyone has ever changed out the clutch and pulley on the AC compressor. Mine is shot and has me scared to drive the car for fear of slinging the belt. Can anybody tell me what kind of special puller I will need to change this and how complicated it will be?

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
Red35thGT said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever changed out the clutch and pulley on the AC compressor. Mine is shot and has me scared to drive the car for fear of slinging the belt. Can anybody tell me what kind of special puller I will need to change this and how complicated it will be?

Cant help you but how do u know when the clutch is shot? my car surges constantly with the a/c on, could i be having the same problem?

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
When the a/c is on, compressor clutch slips and doesn't grap when it kicks in driving down the highway. When the a/c is not turned on and the car is running, the plate that pulls in on the compressor rattles really bad and the pulley vibrates really bad. When I turn on the a/c, the plate pulls in to engage the clutch, but it slips and doesn't get very cold. If I let it run for a wile, I can smell the clutch slipping and visible tell that the a/c compressor isn't turning as fast as it should.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
Red35thGT said:
When the a/c is on, compressor clutch slips and doesn't grap when it kicks in driving down the highway. When the a/c is not turned on and the car is running, the plate that pulls in on the compressor rattles really bad and the pulley vibrates really bad. When I turn on the a/c, the plate pulls in to engage the clutch, but it slips and doesn't get very cold. If I let it run for a wile, I can smell the clutch slipping and visible tell that the a/c compressor isn't turning as fast as it should.

oh ok, mine doesnt do that...hope you get this resolved, wish i could help u. thanks

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
Got it changed out today. It was actually pretty simple. Took about 30 minutes. I got the coil, hub assembly and pulley for $109. It was definately easier than changing out the compressor and recharging the lines. It was much easier than the nightmare stories that I have heard people speak of.

sandburn

Red35thGT said:
Got it changed out today. It was actually pretty simple. Took about 30 minutes. I got the coil, hub assembly and pulley for $109. It was definately easier than changing out the compressor and recharging the lines. It was much easier than the nightmare stories that I have heard people speak of.

i have the exact same problem right now on my 2000 GT... glad to hear it worked out for you... can you tell me where you found the parts for that price? I just bid on a whole (used) compressor on ebay, and i doubt it will end up going for less than $90, so scrap that...

anyways, id really appreciate it if you could tell me where you got it and which parts exactly you got (because some places sell the coild and clutch seperately, etc. - seems like an easy way to get screwed)...

~thanks

Red35thGT

who cares?
Established Member
sandburn said:
i have the exact same problem right now on my 2000 GT... glad to hear it worked out for you... can you tell me where you found the parts for that price? I just bid on a whole (used) compressor on ebay, and i doubt it will end up going for less than $90, so scrap that...

anyways, id really appreciate it if you could tell me where you got it and which parts exactly you got (because some places sell the coild and clutch seperately, etc. - seems like an easy way to get screwed)...

~thanks

I got the parts at O'reilly's. I purchased the parts all in one package. If your going to mess with it, go ahead and replace the clutch, coil, and pulley. Don't try to strap it all back together with just parts and pieces. Its extremely simple to do. all you need is a 10mm wrench (off the top of my head, i am sure that is the size), snap ring pliars, and a pulley puller. just get the kind that hooks behind the pulley and pushes in the center. Remove the bolt from the center of the clutch assembly. The clutch assembly is splined and slips right off of the shaft without any effort. After that, remove the snap ring inside the pulley. You may have to pry a little bit to get the pulley off of the shaft, just depending on the condition of the bearing. Mine was shot and I had to use a screwdriver to pry it off. After the pulley is off, make sure that the coil is unplugged and remove the coil. You will need the pulley puller to get the coil off of the compressor. If you do not take the compressor off, you will have to drive the coil on the compressor with a hammer. While, I don't recommend this, i must admit that this is the way that I did it. You should be okay if you will just get a piece of flat metal and put across the front of the coil so that you make sure you don't damage it. Dont beat on it too hard. I used a small hammer, and you will not be able to get a very big stroke on it, so it will be hard to damage it even if you wanted too. Just take your time and hit from top to bottom kind of walking it on. drive it on until it is all the way against the compressor. Assemble the pulley and clutch and put the belt back on. You shouldn't have any troubles after that. The whole process took me probaby about 30 minutes total. It is possible to do this from the top of the car, but i found it easier to jack the car up and go from the bottom. I'm not really crazy about leaning across the fenders or bumpers if I don't have too. Good luck and I hope my post helps.

Users who are viewing this thread