A combo for good power and reliability

Dino S.

Established Member
Does such a thing exist?

I was thinking a simple bottom end rebuild (1700 from SHM) + Vortech SQ-Trim set up for a stock application might work really well. It wont make 500 rwhp or anything, but 400 rwhp+ stock top end to maintain driveability and longevity... What do ya'll think?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
My goalif I win the lottery is to do the following.

Forged I-beam Rods (I-beam because they are lighter than H-Beam and still stronger than stock.)

Forged pistons with 9:1 compression.

Ported and Polished Stock heads.

5043 Ported 96-98 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Intake short runner best for S/C applications. From SHM

Mustang Cobra BLOWER 2725 - $600 exchange ($900 no-core).452 lift intake, .452 exhaust, 209 duration at .050 intake, 225 duration at .050 exhaust. These are the same cams used by John Mehovitz in his 1000+ HP 7 second modular engined Mustang. From SHM

Steeda Fule rails.

Larger volume fuel pump.

42# injectors

ATI Procharger @ Intercooler.

And a chip to tune it all.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I figure, depending on which SC I go with exactly, and considering the max amount of boost I can go with without putting to much stress on everything this should get me close to the 500hp mark @ the rear, if not more.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
When you get all that put together, we'll drop it in my car ... Ha-ha-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:eek:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You have a better chance of it just ending up in your car one day than me actually coming up with the funds to do it.

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
Hissman

Forget the chip, it's old technology now. The best thing you can do is to have the processor reflashed by someone who can access all the data tables. Other than that start stocking up on lotto tickets.:D

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
I wonder how may lotto tickets you have to buy before you actually have a good chance of winning. We should wait till Powerball gets way up there again and do a huge group buy of lotto tickets and split the winnings

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Jwilliams
buy an 03 :)

Why? I can make my 98 faster. It is lighter, and already has the Solid Axle rear end. These 96-98 Teksid Aluminum Blocks kick ass.

Dino S.

Established Member
According to Sean Hyland's book, the 96-98 blocks are more stout than the 99+.

Seriously though, anybody have any ideas about this combo?

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
Originally posted by Dino S.
According to Sean Hyland's book, the 96-98 blocks are more stout than the 99+.

Seriously though, anybody have any ideas about this combo?

Sean Hyland is a no-nothing tool. I wouldn't let that hippie touch my lawn mower. I used to work at a dealership where we sold Sean Hylands turn key cars, they didn't make anywhere near the advertised horsepower or torque, the cars were always in the shop for problems. Sean even came and personally "tuned" several of his turn key cars that had been purchased and couldn't get anywhere near the claimed 400rwhp mark.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 1 BA SVT
Sean Hyland is a no-nothing tool. I wouldn't let that hippie touch my lawn mower. I used to work at a dealership where we sold Sean Hylands turn key cars, they didn't make anywhere near the advertised horsepower or torque, the cars were always in the shop for problems. Sean even came and personally "tuned" several of his turn key cars that had been purchased and couldn't get anywhere near the claimed 400rwhp mark.

But it is true about the blocks. Ford admits this. The 96-98 blocks made at Teksid, Italy were of much better quality and strength. Teksid is the company that does most of the machining and block work for Ferrari and a few other companies.

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
You're right about the blocks, I was simply pointing out that I wouldn't trust anything in Sean Hyland's bible, without researching it first. And then I forgot about the orginal question. silly me:)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Dino S.
Does such a thing exist?

I was thinking a simple bottom end rebuild (1700 from SHM) + Vortech SQ-Trim set up for a stock application might work really well. It wont make 500 rwhp or anything, but 400 rwhp+ stock top end to maintain driveability and longevity... What do ya'll think?

Yes, that would work, and with the bottom end being stronger you would have no problems. I personally like the ATI Procharger P1SC myself. I like the idea of not having to run an oil tap to my pan. Plus @ high RPM that thing can be almost sucked dry pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread