A/F Gauge problem

ICEMAN9648

Established Member
I got a dual pod A-pillar and installed the autometer boost gauge and A/F gauge. The boost gauge works flawlessly. The A/F gauge on the other hand just isnt working properly. Its like the gauge wont get a steady reading. The LED jumps back and forth from the lean light (the very first one) and to various places on the gauge. The location that the gauge jumps to seems to be pretty consistant with what the reading should be.

The only answers I could think of is that the O2 sensor isn't sending signals fast enough. Or maybe I dont have a good enough connection between the gauge and the sensor. Anyone ever seen or heard of this before.

Before anyone says use the search, I wanted to use the search yesterday but it was down, and I came back today and the search was still down.

slyws6

Established Member
That's normal man. The AF gauge is useless until you go under WOT. During idle and normal driving around it will bounce around like crazy.

-Sly

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
yeah mine did that too when i used to have one in my old civic....i think the autometer gauge is one of the problems. i dont think they are that accurate

ICEMAN9648

Established Member
Thanks a lot. Another question. What if I were to just buy the O2 sensor from dynojet wideband commander? Would that improve the readings? The sensor is only 100 bucks. Cheaper then buying the whole 500 dollar kit.

slyws6

Established Member
It's hard to say, more than likely not because the wideband sensor more than likely reads a different voltage range. Each bar on your AF gauge represents .1 volts. I'm not sure on the L's but I know on the LS1 cars you want it to be between .850 - .900 depending on what your looking to do.

-Sly

slyws6

Established Member
The gauges are accurate, I've monitored my WS6 with HPTuners and the gauge hooked up and they were both in sync, when the O2 volts went up in HPTuners so did the gauge. It's the fact that the factory O2's are not that accurate. They do their job but to correctly turn the signal into a proper AF ratio ie. 11:1-14:1 etc. you will need a wideband to accurately do that.

-Sly

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
As long as when you are "droppin the hammer" and the LED stays in the green is all you should be worried about. Otherwise, the guage is just a light show.

Users who are viewing this thread