A/f ratio question

DukesI3

Established Member
I just bought an 03 cobra from a dealership. I was told it was stock other than the intake. After doing a little research I've come to the conclusion it's pullied with a tune as well.. it does have an af ratio gauge in it. And i spotted the smaller pulley along with the tensioner.

I've searched through a few posts, from what I gather, I want to be in the mid 14's at idle and around town. And mid 11's at wot? I'm wondering if it's common for these gauges to be a little off. I'm typically around 14.6.. jumps from 14 to 15.5 sporadically. And when I'm wot it dips to 13 flat. If it's correct, how bad is that? Are the gauges just there to give you an idea of where it's at, not exactly where it's at? Or should I be worried and do some more investigating. Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

DukesI3

Established Member
Hmm feel free to move this post if need be, sorry if there is a better section. New to tapatalk.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
you want to be at 14.6 at idle or cruising, wot around 11.5-12, have the tune checked out, you dont want to be leaning out.

DukesI3

Established Member
Alright, figured that was the case, trying to find a good spot around Nashville. There's a place called delk performance but I've been told to stay away from them.

usmc320

Established Member
I use my wideband when tuning my car, so I rely on it being pretty accurate. I would suggest as already stated checking out the tune. You could also replace the oxygen sensor to be sure yours is still ok. If no change then take it to the tuner as it may need to be richened up a bit.

leegro1015

Established Member
How did you come to the conclusion that it has a tune? It's possible that when the person turned it into the dealership they removed the tune to sell the tuner as unlocked. someone correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like the car is running on stock tune with a pulley and intake. This would attribute to the lean condition under WOT.

DukesI3

Established Member
The dealership I bought it from deals performance cars. They've got pretty intense drag cars as well. I may be wrong but I didn't get the idea they are worried about what tune is necessarily on the car, but you have a point. I traded in an sti and they didn't seem too worried about anything done to it. I'd hope they kept the tune the car needs to be running the mods it has. But there's only one way to safely find out as previously posted.

Users who are viewing this thread