a few 4.6 questions...?

shame302

I Love Your Mom...
Established Member
hello,
im planning a 4.6 DOHC swap into a fox. ive been back and forth on choosing the right engine. id love a 03 cobra engine myself but they seem to go for a small mint these days. i dont care for the cnc gt cast iron block much either. i could certainly look past that if i got a good deal on one though.

i think i would be happy enough with one of the NA aluminum cobra engines. at least for awhile anyway. i was wondering if there is a way to identify a teksid block when the engine is assembled. the one in question is a 99 crate engine that is for sale locally. its never been off the pallet. ive heared the WOP ford casting has webbing that you can see in the vally between the heads and the Teksid block has no webbing there. a assume this is not visible with the engine fully assembled? i also assume being as its a later ford crate engine that its likely their casting. is 3000 fair for one of those?

id even consider using a mark viii engine for my swap to get everything running but my understanding is, it has a 6 bolt crank and cant be used with a standard transmission. any help would be greatly appreciated. any suggestions as well are gladly welcomed. thank you for your time...john

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
In reality there is nothing wrong with a WAP block for most N/a applications (700rwhp or so) as a benefit its also 5lbs lighter than a teksid. There is a way to tell which block is which while its assembled- look under the intake and look for the pattern on the block you'll either see diamonds=wap or squares= teksid. Btw theres a big thread on the subject with good pictures of what I'm talking about search under "my 2001 has a teksid block"

shame302

I Love Your Mom...
Established Member
awesome man. thanks. i wonder if any of the ford crate engines ended up with a teksid block. i doubt it. the one im looking at is sposed to be a 99. it deffintely has a 99-01 intake on it. thanks again...john

Users who are viewing this thread