A few questions about my Cobra

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
Wanted to ask you guys since this is a SVT board. Couple small things. Firstly, My car takes a while to crank up and I was told to check the fuel filter. Is there anything else I should look into, being that a new fuel filter doesn't remedy it?

Also, I had the front tires balanced the other day because I get a shaky steering wheel at about 50 mph. The car still shakes around 50 sometimes. :shrug: Doesn't bother me too much but is there a cure for this? Thanks.

Noreast

Established Member
Wanted to ask you guys since this is a SVT board. Couple small things. Firstly, My car takes a while to crank up and I was told to check the fuel filter. Is there anything else I should look into, being that a new fuel filter doesn't remedy it?

Also, I had the front tires balanced the other day because I get a shaky steering wheel at about 50 mph. The car still shakes around 50 sometimes. :shrug: Doesn't bother me too much but is there a cure for this? Thanks.

I'm not positive on the cold start so I'm not gunna answer that but the shaking could be a few things. How worn are the tire? Could be the tie rods causing it too

00_silvergt

Established Member
how long have you had the car? did it just recently start taking longer to start or has it always been like that. i have a 97 cobra and had a 95 mustang gt. the 5.0 always took a bit longer to start than the 4.6

i've heard its common on a 5.0 engine

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
Going to check out the fuel filter asap.

See if that corrects it...

I was thinking maybe its just the way this car is ... takes a while most of the time , not only when its cold..

I have livewire spark plug wires w a bit of discoloration on the boot (distributor end) and was wondering if the plugs were old..

see pic

IMG_1639.jpg

The fuel pump seems to make sound after each time I turn ignition key over...... dont know what that means

Also seen in pic, my coil is a aftermarket Screamin Demon... I'm also running a "Dyna mod".. dont know what that means either lol

Last edited:

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
I'm not positive on the cold start so I'm not gunna answer that but the shaking could be a few things. How worn are the tire? Could be the tie rods causing it too
Tires are new.... I guess I'll take off a a tire and check the tie rod bushings..:shrug:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
The fuel pump seems to make sound after each time I turn ignition key over...... dont know what that means

Also seen in pic, my coil is a aftermarket Screamin Demon... I'm also running a "Dyna mod".. dont know what that means either lol

The fuel pump sound is normal. Its supposed to turn on/prime when you turn the ignition key forward.

The ignition parts are aftermarket upgrades. ie the Screaming Demon coil and the Dynamod (its an upgraded ignition module, however the stock Ford one works fine).

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Try swapping front and back tires (if you can) to see if vibration moves. That would tell you if it's the wheel (possibly bent/not true) or something else.

Worth a shot and it's free

BFFB10

Established Member
+1 What NA SVT said, about the shaking, cold start could be the battery. I had a 67 Nova big block would not start...something about cold cranking amps, new battery fired right up. My 2 cents

Last edited:

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
I just got this car, it has always started this way.

The battery should be good, its a Yellow top Optima

Last edited:

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
Had the tires rotated today and I THINK the vibration is gone... found out that I Have KYB GAS-a-just shocks.... !

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
how about the starter its self is it draging alittle ,or since im just guessing mabey the timming is off just a little bit .and if you have a timming light or can borrow one it doesnt cost anything to check.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Since you're the new owner, did you get the SVT certificate for the production number? Head on over to the 94/95 section on the Corral.net forums and there is a "sticky" thread that keeps track of everyones 94/95 Cobra production date and production number.
If you don't have the certificate you'll have to call up Ford Racing and they charge $40 for a copy of your certificate.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
The hard start issue.. Next time it sits over night, cycle the key, listen for the pump to prime, cut the key off, prime it again.. Do it 3-4 times total. See if it starts quicker then. If it does, either fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump is getting weak, and its not holding enough fuel pressure (leaking down) and the long start time is the pump having to re-prime fuel to the rails. When I had my 95 it did the same thing. I upgraded the pump to a 190lph and a adjustable regulator

And being its a 5.0, i assume from the avatar, if you check the timing and the marks are waaaaayyy off, the balancer may be coming apart and needs to be replaced. They are known for that

Last edited:

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
Thanks for the tips.

It seems to start better when I prime the fuel lines using the key method you describe, Slow95..

Still can't find my timing gun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread