A few various questions... Type of Ignition.. Alternator.. Loss of Power

veddersbetter

Established Member
May have been answered and may be a dumb question. My alternator is slowly dying so I quit driving the car until I can get it replaced. Battery light was coming on at higher RPM's then it stopped happening. Took the car to the track and when I hit higher RPM's the light would come on. Seemed it made a big difference in the performance when the batt. light came on... Power was still smooth but felt nothing like it did before the light was on.

So I was reading about alternator voltage affecting power and came across Capacitive and Inductive Ignition systems. Which system do our cars operate on? Appearantly voltage affects power in Inductive but not capacitive.... although with the amount of fuel/spark Im needing that may be wrong.
I am not running a BoostaSpark or BoostaPump at this time and thinking I may need to in the future. Car was dyno tuned at Steigemeier ...513 RWHP with stock flowed injectors...stock ignition etc.

Other than the Ignition question in the title... Would my crap alternator make a huge loss in power?

Thanks for any help

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Other than the Ignition question in the title... Would my crap alternator make a huge loss in power?

Thanks for any help

Yes, the fuel system is return less, and therefor the pressure is varied via voltage by the PCM, the fuel rail pressure sensor and the fuel pump driver module.

So one of the first things to be diminished after the voltage drops is the fuel pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread