A few Vortech tunning questions

Azure Mach1

Established Member
Hi all,

I know a custom tune is always better then what comes in the box but can some of you guys share how much power you picked up with a custom tune over the supplied Vortech chip and if there were any issues with the Vortech tune that may have caused engine damage?
Also, I'll be getting a tune in May, any good shops in the Atlanta area? I normally do my own work so I don't have much experience with these shops.

Lastly, how close was your car to the advertised horsepower Vortech claims?

Thanks for all the help.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Most of the time the out of the box tune is so fat, to prevent damaging the motor. My 97 with the V2 @ 7 PSI made 400rwhp with no other mods. So they tend to be pretty close unless you are at high elevations.

WOPONY98

Established Member
I have a 98 Cobra with a crap load of mods to include full exhaust, and Accufab TB single blade. With the V2 I made 420rwhp and 360tq. This was off the stock kit. I wasn't happy. :cuss: According to Vortech you should see 130+ hp gain over your stock numbers on a stock engine. I was putting down NA 300rwhp. 30rwhp over stock. This should have equated on the Vortech SC when tuned also. I didn't use the free Chip that comes with the kit that you have to send away for. Its a diablo chip tuned by Vortech for you mods. Your car isn't even dyno'd so you have no idea what you are getting.

Now my tune (SCT) was done by Mike Murillio out of San Antonio Texas. Nationally renowned for his tuning and 7 time OutLaw Class Champion. My car ran FAT on Fuel Pressure. Now this is good and although a problem that can only be corrected slightly (SN95) with a tune its a good problem to have. Now I will tell you I had underdrive pullies on my Cobra you will have to go back to the stock pullies on your Mustang before you add the S/C. Mainly just the Crank Pulley. While your at it you might as well do your tensioner pulley and bracket also if you have an older car. Not to mention the Irridium Plugs.

Okay now that you have heard my experience here is what I was told to buy to fix the problem with RWHP and TQ. Ditch the Vortech FMU and buy a Fuel Pressure Regulator, 42lbs injectors, and a 80mm or larger MAF with the smaller pulley for your S/C. This according to Mike will put you at or close to 500rwhp. I would not recommend on a stock engine SVT or not to push 500rwhp for a daily driver without forging or running a safe tune.

Other problems of the added S/C HP, TQ.... Upgrade your rear axle 31 spline before you hook and snap your axle.

Its amazing what you don't find out until you buy and attempt to put on the S/C all the :bs: you have to add to your car to get the numbers you want....:cuss:

On another note I am happy with Vortech the product it performs great on the car and once tuned and running I have had no issues with it. Good luck and hope you get the numbers you after.

Azure Mach1

Established Member
I'll need to update my sig since the underdrives aren't on with the blower install. I'll be getting the tune just need to wait until May. This isn't a daily driver (only 10,000 since new) so I'm not in any hurry for the tune just want to tag it to my B-day so my wife will have something to get me. Thjanks for the comments so far.

Mighty Rooster

Mega Bullitthead
Established Member
You should not just focus on the 'peak' power the unit is going to make. The biggest thing I noticed after a custom tune is the overall driveability of the car. It idles smoothly, doesn't lurch and has smooth power delivery. I think that tuning for WOT would be a huge mistake unless the car spends its life on the track. Just a bit of advice, spend the money for an intercooler (air-to-air or even the 'Aftercooler by Vortech'), you will be glad you did. I wish I had done this initially. Now I would need to add the unit and then get it tuned again. Good Luck.

Oh and to the thread hi-jacker (just kidding), with no other mods you should see at least mid 300s with a stock '03 GT, even with a non-intercooled setup.

Last edited:

Btown03GT

Banned
here are the locked in future mods: flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers..bassain O\R X pipe...accufab 75mm TB & plenum..JLT CAI... and frpp 4.10 gears....what could I make at 10# with this set up and a good tune

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Btown03GT said:
here are the locked in future mods: flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers..bassain O\R X pipe...accufab 75mm TB & plenum..JLT CAI... and frpp 4.10 gears....what could I make at 10# with this set up and a good tune

Probably around 385hp-395hp+ depending on how its fully setup and tuned.

My buddy david's GT was setup just like that and tuned by Tim @ Modular Powerhouse and thats about what he was pushing. However, he did have a built rearend & slicks/skinnies and he pulled out a high 11 with a 1.45 60'.

SN8KBYTE

Established Member
Hey Azure Mach1, I'm not sure where you live but I'm in Douglasville, GA, about 30 miles west of Atlanta. My car is at a place called Higgins Ford Performance. They're tunning my D1-sc Procharged 99 cobra. As of the other day they got 550+ at 4500 rpms before shutting down for additional tunning. Steve and the guys are great and they'll do you right. They get all kinds of mustangs and lightnings in there all the time. Their number is 770-949-1234. Give them a call.:beer:

Btown03GT

Banned
Screamin Cobra said:
Probably around 385hp-395hp+ depending on how its fully setup and tuned.

My buddy david's GT was setup just like that and tuned by Tim @ Modular Powerhouse and thats about what he was pushing. However, he did have a built rearend & slicks/skinnies and he pulled out a high 11 with a 1.45 60'.
david :eek: I thought he didnt know how to drive that thing....didnt he lose to a modded tiburon before it was blown......I remember you talkin about him getting a blower and wanting to race you at the track back in the stock eaton days

Azure Mach1

Established Member
Thanks for the info SN8KBYTE but I have a good friend who had a bad experience at Higgins. I know one tranaction doesn't make the shop but they left his car in a horrible state of tune.

Users who are viewing this thread