a front end rattle

svtmc-g

Established Member
Hey guys. Need help. Since I've owned the car I've had a rattle in the front-end. I hear it with the windows open when there's a curb to bounce the sound back to me. It's DEFINATELY on the passenger front(my wife hears it too). It's a higher-pitched rattle i hear when hitting bumps. that's it. any ideas?
Matt

Taz

Established Member
Sounds like it's the spring rattling against its perch.
:shrug:

Check to ensure the isolators are okay and the spring is correctly seated them (top & bottom).

Also, check the control arm and sway bar end link bushings for damage or deterioration.

Happy trails,

T-

svtmc-g

Established Member
Hey Taz(or anyone else)...also...while turning sharp(clocked full left turn at a bit faster than SLOW speed)I heard a couple slight knockin sounds coming from the same area? help again bro!haha maybe the two are related?

Taz

Established Member
I think the most obvious thing to check would be loose lug nuts, so you've probably already checked those, right?
:shrug:

Worn, damaged or loose bushings, particularly steering rack bushings, could also cause that clunking. Also, are you still running the OEM wheels up front? If not, wider rims and/or offsets that are slightly different might cause some clunking at full lock.

Why not raise the front of the car. Don't remove or loosen the wheels. Just grab each front tire/wheel combo, and try to shake it up/down and left right by hand. Maybe, you'll be able to pinpoint the source of the noise

Finally, you might also check the torque on the strut bolts - both upper and lower. Loose strut attachments can lead to some front suspension clunking, but it's usually not steering dependent.

Happy trails,

T-

Users who are viewing this thread