a little more cooling

WGUNGHO

Established Member
I've been to a number of sites checking out cooling problems and solutions. My 97 is bone stock for now, but I'd like to run a little cooler on really hot days. Overheating my first aluminum block holds little appeal.
Some of the basic solutions were anything from a lower temp thermostat to a completely new cooling system.
Where is a good place to buy a 180* high folw stat?
Another suggestion was to wire in a manual switch for the high speed fan. Why not just wire the fan so that the high speed fan comes on a the lower speed setting? If you wire in a manual switch and leave it on, your battery is toast.
Thanks
Thom

Sierra

Established Member
I was told the Cobra's already had a 180 degree thermostat but the person who told me that could be wrong. Does anyone know this?

And I know you can get the 180 degree thermostats at any auto parts store, they usually have them in stock..
I know steeda sells one (with a mark up of course) I think theres goes around 15 bucks

Sierra

Established Member
SNK BITN

What fan switch mod did you use ( I mean ive seen them on the net, but what walk through guide website did you use)

And can anyone confirm what thermostat is used in the cobra's?

hantzis

Established Member
No one seems to ever mention this, but when you install aftermarket hi-flow exhaust parts (catback, xpipes, etc), doesn't that reduce engine temp? Ever since I installed my MAC Catback exhaust, I've noticed my engine doesn't get nearly as hot as it used to. I would get as hot as "L" in 90 degree days sitting in traffic, now the hottest I've seen it reach is "A".

If I'm right(above), I would change to a catback exhaust - your engine will run cooler, you'll pick up a few horses and have a nice exhaust sound.

Nordi

I'll never grow up!
Established Member
Peter Get a Fluidyne radiator, till then put a 180 stat

Pete, do you think the water wetter is really worth it? I've debating on trying it. Did you add it to your regular coolant? How much did you add?

Peter

Established Member
Originally posted by Nordi
Pete, do you think the water wetter is really worth it? I've debating on trying it. Did you add it to your regular coolant? How much did you add?

I think it's worth it. Use 1 bottle of water wetter with
no more than 50% antifreeze/ 50% water
if you can get the 180 stat- good. This will be better, but a Fluidyne is the boss!

Pete:thumbsup:

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
My 94 had overheating problems here in AR. (High 90s w/ 100%humidity) I had a Griffin 3 core alum rad. with my fan wired to operate constantly with a edelbrock water pump and 160 stat. water wetter, and it would still overheat while driving around town on a afternoon, couldn't drive more than 20 min. at a time, very very annoying. Turns out the rad. had a restriction in it and the local rad. shop said they couldn't vat it and clean it out b/c they were afraid it would ruin the rad.?? Anyhow I got a Ford "maxcool" radiator for a 92 5.0, wider and longer than a stk. very tight fit(149 w/ discount from work at Oriely's) with a 16" hayden elec. fan (without a shroud) and have the 215 stat back in and it will not climb over the "O" even when crusing in stop and go traffic w/ the a/c on. I am running just a 50/50 mix. Also I do not have the lower air dam.

Users who are viewing this thread