A new gear whine noise, need help identifying it.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Hey guys, I wanted to see if any of you have or had this same issue and can help me figure it out. I'm running Eibach sportlines with BMR adjustable LCAs with relocation brackets and BMR adjustable PHB.... I have had the ring and pinion gear whine in my car since day one... But this is a different issue. I'm getting a speed related whine. Coming from the rear area, seems to be more from the passengers side, but hard to tell. It gets louder with speed.... And is getting a bit worse with time. Any guesses are appreciated!

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Probably just getting worse. The bearings are probably going also. I have had my R&P changed out 3 times so far in 18,000 miles. They have changed the diff also and bearings every time and the bearings are always scarred. Doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure one of the axles is off but they refuse to replace them. Good thing for warranty.

Hey guys, I wanted to see if any of you have or had this same issue and can help me figure it out. I'm running Eibach sportlines with BMR adjustable LCAs with relocation brackets and BMR adjustable PHB.... I have had the ring and pinion gear whine in my car since day one... But this is a different issue. I'm getting a speed related whine. Coming from the rear area, seems to be more from the passengers side, but hard to tell. It gets louder with speed.... And is getting a bit worse with time. Any guesses are appreciated!

azazell64

Established Member
Did this become more apparent with the installation of what I'm assuming are poly bushing suspension items? I noticed a significant increase in gear whine (also speed related) once having switched everything over to poly bushings. The very same thing has become very apparent in a friend's GT as well after said modifications.

azazell64

Established Member
I've usually been able to differentiate between a Torsen gear whine and a bearing whirring noise but this could be different. Also with the amount of miles on my car I would be absolutely alarmed if there was a bearing gone already as the car is not off of break in yet....

IamRacerX

Established Member
My issue came up long after the suspension was done. So no it has nothing to do with the new bushings. It sounds like a wheel bearing going out. But with so much gear noise coming from the rear, I was think it might be something in there as well. Again it's constant with speed and gets louder with speed and makes the same noise clutch in or out, and the other day I turned the motor off and rolled at 50ish and it was more apparent....but still can't pin point it.

Last edited:

IamRacerX

Established Member
Just to follow up.... It has been identified as a pinion bearing. I'm going to have all the rear bearings replaced as well as adding a ford racing ring and pinion.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Meant to follow up again.... Had the rear rebuilt with all ford racing quality parts including a new ring and pinion and the rear is quieter than ever..... No whine at all. Wasn't cheap, but imo was well worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread