A question for all you HDTV experts

DravenGSX

Established Member
CobraJohn01 said:
If the HD component jacks can really only display up to 720p, and the HDMI can display up to 1080i, would that be worth the extra cost? Is there enough broadcasting and stuff to make use of the 1080i? I do plan on getting an up-convert DVD player. I have no plans for a PS3, Wii, or Xbox 360 anytime soon, so I'm really only concerned with television and DVDs.

You'll be fine with the component input. There is a ton of content that is 1080i. But there isn't much difference between 1080i and 720p. 720p will be fine for you.

Boostaholic: Cable cards are one way. No more guide or PPV or On-Demand, etc.

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
tehnick said:
Motorola or Scientific Atlanta? If it is Motorola, let me know the model of the box. 6412, 3412, etc... I do video repair work for Comcast so I deal with video related issues on a daily basis. If one box is fine, and the others are bunked out, I would check all the connections, make sure everything is tight, then call the office and have a warm reset sent to the boxes that aren't working. That will cause them to reload the framework, channel maps, etc. If that doesn't work, then perhaps an appointment with a tech is needed, or perhaps take the STB's to a service center for a swap. :rockon:

Its a Motorola DCT3416. Yeah they have resent the signal multiple times to the boxes still don't work. A tech even came out here and all he did was change the cable going from our box outside to the main splitter in the house he did not even check it before he left. That did not make sense to me since everything else such as the internet (2Mbps + throughput speed) and crap was working fine. Its just weird that everything worked until the first time that they sent the signal to the boxes I guess it is possible that the two could be messed up its just hard to believe that 2 out of 3 boxes have hardware issues. I will probably just take them back and get different ones. I have to say though in my area I am very disappointed with the customer service I was having trouble with my internet a week ago. Mind you I am in IT Networking/Security and one of the reps actually told me that the problem was not with my internet but with my computer. I then told him that none of my computers are working right and he said that something got corrupted on one of the machines and must have transferred to the others "I said what a virus?" no just some kind of corruption. I told him well thats funny cause I ran a trace route to your DNS server and the router that the DNS server is connected to appears to be dropping 40% of the packets so I bet that is probably where the problem lies. Then i get the well there is an outage right now so i can't dispatch a tech to your house. Oh well I just usually expect companies to have a little better service. Thanks for the info though :beer:

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
CobraJohn01 said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It's starting to look like I'll go with the non-DVR box for now and use the component jacks instead of the HDMI. I can always upgrade it later to the HD/DVR combo. I just don't need a DVR (even though they are nice to have) and if there really is a negligable difference between the picture quality in the two, it seems kind of pointless. Unless...

If the HD component jacks can really only display up to 720p, and the HDMI can display up to 1080i, would that be worth the extra cost? Is there enough broadcasting and stuff to make use of the 1080i? I do plan on getting an up-convert DVD player. I have no plans for a PS3, Wii, or Xbox 360 anytime soon, so I'm really only concerned with television and DVDs.
Too lazy to read all the posts, but here is the real deal. Component CAN ABSOLUTELY DO 1080i !!!! You TV is 1366x768, or 720p, you will not be able to tell the difference between component and HDMI. HDMI really only comes into play when your talking about 1080p:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread