A question for Leos: Window Tints State-Wide

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
I have noticed more and more these days that cars are coming from the factory Stock with Dark Window tints....or what would have been considered dark and illegal 10 or 20 years ago.

I am considering getting tints and I do not want to get the wrong percentage that is too dark which could lead to window tint tickets due to lack of visibility which is completely understandable for safety, I just want to follow the rules while upgrading my cars appearance. What is the Percentage of tint that you as a Leo would personally be ok with? Thank you

YJSONLY

Established Member
All states are different in legal tint and even what windows. Search your state tint laws.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
There are a few threads started on here about that already - someone posted the laws as to what you can have in each state as well.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
And I will add that auto manufactures are guided by FEDERAL laws as to how dark the tint can be on vehicles. Some vehicles, SUV's for example, have different laws in place for rear side windows than a sedan would. State laws are generally more strict than federal laws. Therefore, all motor vehicles produced, or imported, in the US meet federal guidelines and state guidelines.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
There are a few threads started on here about that already - someone posted the laws as to what you can have in each state as well.

Thank you for that info I will most definitely look into that writeup.

Just so I can clarify my first post I was asking (regardless of state) what percentage of tint on a coupe or a sedan (sorry for not previously stating) would you personally as an officer be comfortable with and what percentage would be "overdoing it",

I will now go search for the writeup you have mentioned. Thanks all for your time

wesessiah

Established Member

Just so I can clarify my first post I was asking (regardless of state) what percentage of tint on a coupe or a sedan (sorry for not previously stating) would you personally as an officer be comfortable with and what percentage would be "overdoing it",

I will now go search for the writeup you have mentioned. Thanks all for your time
it's not as simple as that, some states like California allow 70% on the front, while South Carolina allows 27% anything below the state law is overdoing it, as you can be cited for it. some officers are strict on tint, others don't care about it. there's not some gray area that's illegal where you would probably slide. so there's no comfort area, if it's below 32% in NC (the statue says 35% case law says 32%) then a citation can be given for it. one officer may pass by a vehicle with 20% tint and not notice, or feel like bothering with it, while the next officer may be a tint hound and bust people for 30%

SVTORANGE

Established Member

Anytime man to simplify just look under my name for previous post and you will find those write-ups.
As for what COPS are OK with is hard to say I know 20% is the happy median for a few people, some like to do 35% and stay legal others like myself love the blacked out look of 5%

Users who are viewing this thread