A transmission swap question

Z-Rated

Established Member
A buddy of mine has a 99 gt... it has the 5-speed with 410 gears. So highway driving is unpleasant to say the least. He is looking at getting a 03-04 cobra tanny the t-56. That way he can run 410s and still have decent milage on the highway. How feasible is this swap? and how cheap do used trannies in good condition go for? I know this is probally in the wrong section, but I figured id ask here becuase of the knowledge in this paticular forum. thanks for any info

im sure this is all newb stuff.... im still searching... :-D

Last edited:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Well he will need a new bellhousing, crossmember, and of course a driveshaft. D&D Motorsports can help you with some of the parts. You can look or better yet call KarKraft.com for the tranny itself. The driveshaft will probably have to be a custom cut unit. As expensive as they are I believe seanhylandmotorsports.com sells or is going to sell a conversion kit.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
As far as I know that will work, but you will need a different clutch plate which can be a challenge to find, I would try to find a used Viper unit. It is what most of the Cobra guys here are really looking for. Very little about the GM unit gets spoken for around here.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
thats a pretty good deal. i bought mine for the same price but with less than 1000 miles. $1500 shipped with a 30 day warranty, pretty good i thought.

red03dave

Established Member
I put a t56 in my 2000 and used the 03 Cobra driveshaft and the pinion flange needed to match it and had NO problems. Not a whole lot to it....

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I think you're buddy is in for a surprise...there isn't that much difference in 5th in his trans and 6th in ours. There's some help there...but not a lot. Also...he needs to keep in mind the difference in 1st gear. His is probably 3.xx something in first and ours is like 2.64 or something like that. It will kill his car driving away from stop lights. Wait a minute...he has 4.10's...he should be ok...in fact he may like it better with that deep a gear. If I were him, I would consider a D & D box with a .5 6th gear. That will really help him compared to ours. The draw back is I believe it has a 2.96 1st gear...which may be a little steep with 4.10's...but a heck of a lot better than what he has now. D & D can set him up with the trans and the complete installation kit for appx $3000. I looked real hard at this swap when I had my 01 Cobra. I finally decided that with the trans swap and the Kenne Bell I wanted for it, it was just as cheap to get an 04.

Users who are viewing this thread