A Trilogy Maintenance Issue...

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
Now that the Trilogy cars have been around for a few years and have a bunch of miles on them, it's time to think about maintenance and what's different on a Trilogy equipped car.

One of the biggest differences is the six-rib accessory belt routing, and the flipped around alternator and bracket. On the back-side of the alternator bracket is a smooth idler pulley that routes the belt from the alternator down to the power steering pump. This pulley [and the bearing inside it] are not visible or accessible once the kit is installed. It can't be cleaned and doesn't really see much airflow, poor thing. :cryying:

Anyway, if you've got a Trilogy car with a bunch of miles on it, and you hear what you think is your alternator grinding, it probably isn't. It's the bearing inside that pulley. You'll need to remove the blower belt, tensioner, and bracket. Then loosen up the six rib belt and remove the alternator. Take the alternator bracket off, and you'll find the pulley/bearing I'm talking about. It's held on with one bolt, and there's an internal snap ring that keeps the bearing in place. A quick trip to your local Napa for a 6203-2RSJ bearing will be in order. Then, you'll need somebody who's good with a press to press the old bearing out and the new one in.

I just did this to my car, which has had a Trilogy on it for over four years now, and the whole process took me about an hour. Special thanks to Shakes_26 for doing the legwork at Napa to find the correct part number! :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread