A6 Trans issue or Electrical problem?

zemog255

Established Member
The other night when I was driving the car randomly came out of gear is what it felt like and just free revs... RPMs come down goes back into gear everything is fine does it once more about 10 miles down the road. Later that night leave where I went it does it again a few times at random amount of miles. Its not consistent. It will do it on flat ground, up hill, down hill accelerating etc.. I swapped tunes just cause I had been driving around on my nitrous tune and when I started it, it wouldn't even move. I gave it alittle more gas jerked forward and was fine for the next 20 miles home.

Did the same thing after leaving a red light going up a hill. It was 4am and I was making a lot of noise so of course I got stopped. After dealing with that it wouldn't start. I thought it was a battery issue but the starter wouldn't even try to spin. Disconnected the battery and let it sit for 15 mins. Starts right up no issues the rest of the way home.

I took it out the next day to see if it would do it again and its fine until the car is warmed all the way up. Then it starts coming out of gear again. I stop and kill it then start it a few seconds later. Then it will restart. If it let it sit it for a few minutes and it won't start or even spin the starter. I let it sit for 2 days, still nothing. I disconnect the battery let it sit and it starts like nothing has happened. I have got a wrench light while driving twice but it goes away after a few seconds.

CAR MODS:
CAI, O/R hpipe, Nitrous outlet plate kit, KB BAP, Circle D converter, AED Tune,

Issues I think I've ruled out:

Battery: 12.2 volts not running 14.0-14.2 while driving

Nitrous setup: I completely disconnected the wiring to it. It only has a pedal wot switch so just power ground and a relay

Trans going out: It drives fine and runs fine other than randomly coming out of gear or the converter doing something I don't know. Just acts like its in neutral until the rpms come down. The trans never gets hot and the trans doesn't have to be warmed up for it to do it just the motor. The converter has been in for about 10 months now.

Im not sure where to really start on this one. I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they looked fine.

HELP

Last edited:

gottoast

Established Member
I am not the expert Shaun can chime in here as he is but maybe we can narrow things down a bit before he does?

1. Did you check the codes with your SCT?
2. When you installed the non-NOS tune did you have any issues with the install of the other tune?
3. When you were using the NOS anything weird happen when driving around? Crazy burnouts..etc

zemog255

Established Member
I've checked for codes. No codes

Never had any tune install issues. I just changed it to try it.

The last time I sprayed the car was a month ago. About 500 miles ago. No overly crazy burnouts just normal burnouts at the track.

Thanks for the ideas!

zemog255

Established Member
I needed to move the car today. Checked codes again since there was a line at the bottom of the dash got 2 codes finally
P0706
P0707
Said they were low circuits on a trans sensor. I will lift it up and check under there tomorrow.

The car wouldn't start until after I checked and cleared the codes then it started like normal.

zemog255

Established Member
Well now the car won't start at all. The starter doesn't even try to engage. I have been over every fuse in the fuse box and in the passenger side kick panel. I have gone over every wire I have touched and just any wire that I can find. I don't see any rubbing or torn wires anywhere.

I have found a few other fords with similar symptoms as mine. They have had from a bad starter to a bad clutch fan to the security system in the keys. I have tried both sets of keys.

I also forgot to add I have a KB bap also. I will edit my post at the top.

zemog255

Established Member
Finally got it. Some how a wire harness on the trans moved and was touching the header. I moved it off the header and the car started right off the bat. I got that tucked away and took it for a drive and no issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread