Abaco MAF...how does this thing work?

2V Terror

Established Member
Ok guys I am having the hardest time using this Abaco MAF meter. If any of you have experience with it or can tell me what I'm doing wrong then I would appreciate it. I just can't seem to get the engine to run properly no matter which file I load onto it. BTW, I have a 03 GT that is supercharged with ported heads and custom cams. I tried loading a file for 42# injectors and that didn't run well. I then tried one for 60# injectors and it didn't run properly either. I tried several different files that they have loaded on the downloaded file and nothing seems to work. Yet I hear and keep reading about people having no problems at all and it working perfectly. Any help is appreciated.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Who is your tuner? You should be contacting them first. Is the tune written for the MAF? If it's not, then you need your tune re-written. If you are tuning it yourself, you should be posting this in the tuning section for better responses.

2V Terror

Established Member
I just want to know how it exactly works. I'm not really looking for info on tuning or for how to tune. I do all my own tuning BTW. But my understanding is that this is a calibrated MAF meter that you can adjust and load 10 different calibrations onto it so you don't have to tune the ECU for injectors. That is really the info I'm looking for. Info specific to the meter itself.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
MAFs work by heating up a wire using electrical current. As air passes over the wire in the MAF, it cools the wire which causes the MAF to increase the amount of current over the wire to heat the wire back up. The amount of current changes based on the amount of air flowing, i.e. idling, WOT, half throttle, etc. They are calibrated to correlate X current with Y amount of air. Same principle with any other MAF.

IDK what size MAF you switched to, but I am pretty sure you should be scaling your MAF readings accordingly. Whatever calibrations are loaded standard may not be scaling properly for your setup. Most people I know went to a 90mm lightning MAF due to ease of scaling in the tunes. I recommended the tuning section because if you put a detailed explanation exactly what is wrong with how your car is running, they can help you narrow down the root cause, whether it is the tune or mechanical. Just saying your car runs terrible doesn't say anything to anyone.

2V Terror

Established Member
Let me explain. My car runs fine the way it is. It is tuned perfectly. I do the tuning myself. Recently, several weeks ago, I started reading about the Abaco MAF meter. It is an electronic MAF meter. I got curious and wanted to play around with it and try something new on my car. I'm an experimental type of person. I try things so that I can either recommend it or not later on. And I like to know what is out there, what works, and how well it works.

So, heres the deal. You load the program for the Abaco meter onto your desktop or laptop computer, you then plug the MAF meter into your computer via a USB plug. Once the program is loaded up and the meter is plugged in you then can burn up to 10 calibrations into it. So if you have 10 different sets of fuel injectors, each set being a different size, you can load a tune for each of those sets of injectors. So if you have 30s in the car, and then you decide to switch to 36s, you simply install the 36s, turn the dial on the meter to the number that corresponds with the calibration for the 36s, and you're ready to go. You could do it in a parking lot if you wanted. The calibrations are so that you can change injectors without having to re-write or re-tune the ECU. It would be like if you swapped out injectors and then put a PMAS MAF calibrated for the new ones. The difference is, like I said, this meter holds up to 10 different calibrations. So it would be like having 10 different PMAS MAF meters calibrated for 10 different sized injectors all in one meter. Now I would like to know if anyone has used it and exactly how they did it and what calibrations they used. There is no mechanical issue with my car and there is no issue with the injectors or the MAF meter I currently have on it. The problem is when I put the Abaco meter on it runs horrible so I wanna make sure I am using the right calibrations and am loading the calibrations correctly.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Let me explain. My car runs fine the way it is. It is tuned perfectly. I do the tuning myself. Recently, several weeks ago, I started reading about the Abaco MAF meter. It is an electronic MAF meter. I got curious and wanted to play around with it and try something new on my car. I'm an experimental type of person. I try things so that I can either recommend it or not later on. And I like to know what is out there, what works, and how well it works.

So, heres the deal. You load the program for the Abaco meter onto your desktop or laptop computer, you then plug the MAF meter into your computer via a USB plug. Once the program is loaded up and the meter is plugged in you then can burn up to 10 calibrations into it. So if you have 10 different sets of fuel injectors, each set being a different size, you can load a tune for each of those sets of injectors. So if you have 30s in the car, and then you decide to switch to 36s, you simply install the 36s, turn the dial on the meter to the number that corresponds with the calibration for the 36s, and you're ready to go. You could do it in a parking lot if you wanted. The calibrations are so that you can change injectors without having to re-write or re-tune the ECU. It would be like if you swapped out injectors and then put a PMAS MAF calibrated for the new ones. The difference is, like I said, this meter holds up to 10 different calibrations. So it would be like having 10 different PMAS MAF meters calibrated for 10 different sized injectors all in one meter. Now I would like to know if anyone has used it and exactly how they did it and what calibrations they used. There is no mechanical issue with my car and there is no issue with the injectors or the MAF meter I currently have on it. The problem is when I put the Abaco meter on it runs horrible so I wanna make sure I am using the right calibrations and am loading the calibrations correctly.

Is it the same size MAF as what you took off? If it's not the same size, you need to re-tune it. A larger/smaller diameter MAF will read significantly more/less air and your car can't compensate for it.

If it is the same size, then I personally can't offer you any more info as I have never seen anyone use one. But this definitely sounds like the car isn't reading the correct amount of air.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It sounds like the 10 "calibrations" alter the MAF signal to "trick" the computer to get the right air/fuel ratios, but you have to have the car tuned for that size maf for it to work as intended.

Maybe I don't get it, I just don't see why this would be a benefit. If I am changing something on the car significantly enough to require a different size injector, I want a dedicated dyno tune for it.

Last edited:

2V Terror

Established Member
I don't trust any of these dyno tuners out here. I'd rather road tune it myself. Road tuning as far as I'm concerned is more reliable anyway. The MAF opening is 97mm. But that doesn't really matter with my tunes because the SCT meter I use is a 95mm opening and it runs fine with no changes to the scalers at all.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't trust any of these dyno tuners out here. I'd rather road tune it myself. Road tuning as far as I'm concerned is more reliable anyway. The MAF opening is 97mm. But that doesn't really matter with my tunes because the SCT meter I use is a 95mm opening and it runs fine with no changes to the scalers at all.

That's a tad more than 4% increase in cross-sectional area between the two MAFs. That is not insignificant. I have a hard time believing that you don't need a new tune for that.

Users who are viewing this thread