abandoned car on my property

giz93cobra

AllWayz Sidewayz
Established Member
What are the rules with vehicles left on private property. I'm not saying over night I mean 6 months. there is a car with no tags and the keys are in it about 100 feet off the road parked in the woods about 100 yards from my house in PA. I let the state police know about it and gave them a description and the VIN but I haven't heard anything from them. Can i just apply for a title for it or what?? Can I claim the vehicle after a certain amount of time?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If the vehicle is actually abandoned anyone can claim it and possess it. You are the actual owner of the property? And it is on the property you own?

giz93cobra

AllWayz Sidewayz
Established Member
Actually it's my mothers property, I just grew up there we have 11 acres and yes, it is on our land. So do I just petion the state for a new title? I really appreciate the help. Thanks

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
giz93cobra said:
Actually it's my mothers property, I just grew up there we have 11 acres and yes, it is on our land. So do I just petion the state for a new title? I really appreciate the help. Thanks

You will need to check the specifics of your state as to recovery of abandoned property. You need to check with the police again to assure it wasnt a stolen vehicle.

Call the DMV and explain that you have taken possession of an abandoned car and want to know the procedure to gain a legitimate title to it.

Users who are viewing this thread