Abbott came in yesterday.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
My Abbott came in yesterday. I had planned on having it by Friday for the gear install. I had to drive around pilling up extra miles with the 4.10's this weekend. I put it in today and I am getting a shift light while I'm in 6th gear. I don't remember getting a shift light with the stock gear. Anyone know for sure? At least i didn't notice it. I guess the logic for the light is screwed up by the Abbott. The Abbott works just like always including cruise control. It is a little bothersome with the light popping on when you are running around in 6th gear. Other than that it works like a charm.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
No...my shift light does NOT come on when in 6th gear...it probably assumes the gear ratio to get the gear and the new ratio does not match up with what the computer stated it should be so it might assume you have one more gear to go...

Also, can you explain what an Abbott is for us that dont know? Thanks...

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Sounds like the shift light is getting a reading from a differnt location than where the Abbott is reading, or the reading is in front of where the Abbott is hooked up! My .02 Cents

An Abbott is an electronic Speedo Calibrator that can correct all gear ratio's.

Tim

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
My guess is the algorithm the computer uses to determine the shift points, is being confused by the change in rpm vs. speed the 4.10s are giving. It's telling you to shift to 7th, for maximum gas mileage. :-D

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I think that is how it works. It bases it on speed versus rpm. That way they do not to have a gear location sensor.

I saw a spot on the Speed Channel and they said they had caught a few Winston Cup teams cheating because they had slip regulation. They said it was hard to detect. I was wondering how they could do it because on passenger cars like ours it has spider gears on the wheels and a prox switch that counts the number of teeth on the front and rear and compares them to see if there is any spinning. That would be easy to spot. What the teams have is a little box with an EPROM and it is programmed to calculate the increase in revs compared to time. If the engine is revving higher than what the car would under a hard pull without slippage, then the chip retards the timing. They wouldn't say who was using it but I bet they have already caught a few.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
T56's in Camaros have a .5 ratio in 6th. I wonder how hard it would be to change over the 03 final to a .5 ratio. That would work out really nice with the 4.10's. I watched my tach today and I'm running a little over 2k at 60 mph. I ran at the local 1/8 Sunday without the Abbott and I was crossing the line at 100 mph :-D . I wish.

Users who are viewing this thread