Abnormal noise from shifter area on acceleration in 2nd, 3rd, 4th

jaiasmit

Established Member
I just recently picked up a 2012 GT500 SVTPP. I've noticed that when in 2nd gear under semi-heavy throttle, there's a rattle/chatter sound that appears to be coming from the shifter area. I'm trying to figure out whether this might be an exhaust leak that I'm hearing through the shifter boot, or if it's actually a rattle in the transmission or shifter.

I'm thinking it's either the tranny or the shifter because if I pull back harder on the shifter in 2nd, then the sound becomes more pronounced. The sound can also be heard in 3rd and 4th under heavy acceleration, but it is not as pronounced as in 2nd.

Is anyone familiar with this? Is this a common problem? Should I take it into the local Ford dealer and see if they have any info? I hesitate because I'm not 100% comfortable with the quality of mechanic they have locally. Just wondering if this is a relatively minor problem.

69Mach1351w

Established Member
I just recently picked up a 2012 GT500 SVTPP. I've noticed that when in 2nd gear under semi-heavy throttle, there's a rattle/chatter sound that appears to be coming from the shifter area. I'm trying to figure out whether this might be an exhaust leak that I'm hearing through the shifter boot, or if it's actually a rattle in the transmission or shifter.

I'm thinking it's either the tranny or the shifter because if I pull back harder on the shifter in 2nd, then the sound becomes more pronounced. The sound can also be heard in 3rd and 4th under heavy acceleration, but it is not as pronounced as in 2nd.

Is anyone familiar with this? Is this a common problem? Should I take it into the local Ford dealer and see if they have any info? I hesitate because I'm not 100% comfortable with the quality of mechanic they have locally. Just wondering if this is a relatively minor problem.

Probably of no help, but my MGW shifter is rattling while accelerating my stocker never did. I will pop the console and check everything out, I need to tighten/loosen a few bolts hopefully for the cure.

Was the car new or used? Perhaps an aftermarket is/ was installed from previous owner :shrug:

Corepuncher

Established Member
My shifter noise went up substantially after installing my MGW shifter. But I still like it :) Maybe I need to open it up again and add more sound deadening mat.

jaiasmit

Established Member
The car was brand new off the showroom floor.

Anyone else have this with the stock shifter? I'm just trying to confirm that there's no a bigger problem that I need to be concerned about.

Last edited:

dbrisson

Established Member
I have a 12 with the same noise. Same on the pull etc. sometimes if i center second a little it goes away but i normally don't hear it over the radio.

jaiasmit

Established Member
I have a 12 with the same noise. Same on the pull etc. sometimes if i center second a little it goes away but i normally don't hear it over the radio.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one with the noise.

I much prefer the sound of the exhaust to the sound of the radio :) so I still hear mine often.

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
MGW here too and get a bit of rattle in low gears as well. But that's probably the case with just about any aftermarket product making more noise than OEM. I gotta go under and check the nuts and bolts. Probably just something got a bit loose over time

Blu-Steel

Established Member
Boy am I glad I'm not the only one. I get the same noise and it is more pronounced with my MGW shifter too. I have it set on 5 and I never noticed the noise until I drove the car without the radio on. I jacked up the car to recheck everything underneath and it all looked good. Everything is tight under the console also. I determined the noise is traveling through the shifter from inside the transmission. I think this is just another annoying thing about that transmision but in the end if that's all it is I can live with it. The stock shifter has a lot of rubber insulation that I'm sure stopped the noise but it also made a lousy shift feel.

Users who are viewing this thread