? about orange peel and dry spots in clearcoat

mg02bullitt

Established Member
when i bought my car about 2 years ago, it had just been repainted minus the roof. i noticed it had some orange peel and some dry spots in the clear coat. i never really got around to attempting to fixing these. my question is now that the clear is now cured completely hard and 2 years old, is there any real way to fix this? i'm very wary of wet sanding, though i have done it before. i was thinking maybe 2500 grit and go from there? or if there is an aggressive enough compound? if anyone has any tips or has experience this before please chime in! thanks a lot

danponjican

Established Member
Wetsanding is going to be the only way to correct orange peel. I would sand with 2000 first and if it isn't knocking it down fast enough try 1500. Make sure you use a block to sand with otherwise your sand marks will be uneven and you'll be able to see them even after compounding and polishing.

If you have an air powered DA sander is it 1000X faster and easier. Might be worth it if you can get your hands on one.

After sanding down the hills and valleys level, compound with Meguiar's M105 and a wool pad, then finish with Meguiar's M205 and a polishing pad. Search on Youtube, there are dozens of demos on there.

Users who are viewing this thread