? about picking up new 03 Cobra

Orange Poison

Established Member
Hi everyone,

This week will be the lucky week for me on picking up my Sonic Blue Coupe.

I need to ask all you fellows out there. Should I let them wash and wax my Cobra as part of the car prep they perform?

I am hesitant to let them do this since we all know things can happen at the dealership whenever they mess with you new Cobra.

I need your advice on this matter.

BTW, the dealership is Galpin in North Hills California.

Thanks

Tony

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Remember: "You get what you pay for."

Do it yourself or pay a professional you trust to do it right. Dealers do not make money on this so they are not going to have great detail people on staff.

Just MHO.

Elliotness

Established Member
Do it yourself

I told my salesman not to let them wash the car. I ordered a Black car and need to take additional steps to ensure that the paint remains in good condition. I don't want the swirlies before I even pick the car up. I strongly recommend that you ask them not to wash the car.

Brad

Banned
Re: Do it yourself

Originally posted by Elliotness
I told my salesman not to let them wash the car. I ordered a Black car and need to take additional steps to ensure that the paint remains in good condition. I don't want the swirlies before I even pick the car up. I strongly recommend that you ask them not to wash the car.

If they don’t wash it, they also skip taking all the wrapping off the car. Trust me, the dealer car care guys are better at taking all that crazy plastic wrap off the car then any of us are. Also to boot, they are less prone to scratch the car seeing all they do day in and day out is wash cars. They wash indoors, use damn good tools, and are just plain "skilled". Also for the record every Ford dealer I have ever been to uses outside detailing shops to clean their cars. A ford dealer will hire people from a detailing shop to do their in house work. If you ever go into a ford service area you’ll almost always see the car wash guy wearing clothes with the logo of a local detailing shop, as they are hired from an outside source. Just my .02, let them wash the car. They know what they are doing; at the very least, tell them to wash and not wax, then zaino her up when you get home.:beer:

Last edited:

C_Record

Established Member
>>[snip]Trust me, the dealer car care guys are better at taking all that crazy plastic wrap off the car then any of us. Also to boot, they are less prone to scratch the car seeing all they do day in and day out is wash cars<<

Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha haaaa. Oh, I forgot there's a smilie for things like this:lol:

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by rcogs
>>[snip]Trust me, the dealer car care guys are better at taking all that crazy plastic wrap off the car then any of us. Also to boot, they are less prone to scratch the car seeing all they do day in and day out is wash cars<<

Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha haaaa. Oh, I forgot there's a smilie for things like this:lol:

Guess it all boils down to where you go, but the last time I checked that plastic stuff was a PITA to take off. Are you saying you can do a better job at removing plastic off a car? My point is its their job to get the car ready. No they wont use 10 coats of z2, but they will take all the plastic off the car and wash it pretty well. Again my .02. If you are cool with driving a 40k car home covered in plastic and dust go for it, but I would rather do what I did. Pick my car up, take it out for the night, spend the next day with dish washer soap and zaino :D

Also less prone to scratch as in they use compressed air to dry the car, and not a cloth, but you knew that:-D

Last edited:

Friendchicken

Guys, ever consider that there might be damage and scratches from transit? I wouldn't want to get my new car home, wash it and see it scratched- then have to deal with Ford to have it fixed.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by 98kobra
Guys, ever consider that there might be damage and scratches from transit? I wouldn't want to get my new car home, wash it and see it scratched- then have to deal with Ford to have it fixed.

Agreed, let the dealer wash it, at most just tell them not to wax it. Lets just say, the wax they use is not the best

C_Record

Established Member
>>Are you saying you can do a better job at removing plastic off a car?<<

Yes.

>>If you are cool with driving a 40k car home covered in plastic and dust go for it, but I would rather do what I did.<<

When mine comes in I'll be removing the plastic and washing it at the dealership(as I did when I bought by '99 Explorer Sport). I'll again be taking my own super special soft-as-an-unborn-baby's-ass drying towels with me. This extra effort is worth it to me.

>>Also less prone to scratch as in they use compressed air to dry the car, and not a cloth, but you knew that<<

I have compressed air at home but still use towels to dry my cars(and my color preference is black).

Brad

Banned
>>Are you saying you can do a better job at removing plastic off a car?<<

Yes.

>>If you are cool with driving a 40k car home covered in plastic and dust go for it, but I would rather do what I did.<<

When mine comes in I'll be removing the plastic and washing it at the dealership(as I did when I bought by '99 Explorer Sport). I'll again be taking my own super special soft-as-an-unborn-baby's-ass drying towels with me. This extra effort is worth it to me.

>>Also less prone to scratch as in they use compressed air to dry the car, and not a cloth, but you knew that<<

I have compressed air at home but still use towels to dry my cars(and my color preference is black).

Taste can't be argued, but I can't agree with putting that much effort into this. We are not talking rocket science here, we are talking about washing the crap off a car and taking the plastic wrap off it. Its not like they use sand paper here, they hose it down, soap it, hose it again, and dry it. I don't know what dealer you buy from, but if you can't trust them to unwrap and wash you car, how can you trust them enough to buy from them?

REDHOT, if I was you, and I was about 4 months ago;-) let the dealer wash the car, tell them to hold the wax. Have a lot of zaino ready for the next day:-D

C_Record

Established Member
>>Taste can't be argued, but I can't agree with putting that much effort into this. We are not talking rocket science here, we are talking about washing the crap off a car and taking the plastic wrap off it. Its not like they use sand paper here, they hose it down, soap it, hose it again, and dry it<<

This has nothing to do with taste and everything to do with an expensive purchase(investment?). You let the lot boys prep yours, I'll do my own. I'm more than happy to do it.

>>I don't know what dealer you buy from, but if you can't trust them to unwrap and wash you car, how can you trust them enough to buy from them?<<

Now that you mention it, I really don't trust anyone enough to buy from them(and I'm not the only one who feels that way). But I have no choice, can't purchase cars directly from the factory(though I do bypass retail establishments for other merchandise any time I get a chance).

Let's not forget RedHotSnke is asking for advice here. He's aware of the reputation dealerships have and is understandably worried about people not being careful with his purchase. I'm just letting him know there are others who feel the same way and explaining how I personally handle it.

Last edited:

Brad

Banned
>>Taste can't be argued, but I can't agree with putting that much effort into this. We are not talking rocket science here, we are talking about washing the crap off a car and taking the plastic wrap off it. Its not like they use sand paper here, they hose it down, soap it, hose it again, and dry it<<

This has nothing to do with taste and everything to do with an expensive purchase(investment?). You let the lot boys prep yours, I'll do my own. I'm more than happy to do it.

>>I don't know what dealer you buy from, but if you can't trust them to unwrap and wash you car, how can you trust them enough to buy from them?<<

Now that you mention it, I really don't trust anyone enough to buy from them(and I'm not the only one who feels that way). But I have no choice, can't purchase cars directly from the factory(though I do bypass retail establishments for other merchandise any time I get a chance).

Let's not forget RedHotSnke is asking for advice here. He's aware of the reputation dealerships have and is understandably worried about people not being careful with his purchase. I'm just letting him know there are others who feel the same way and explaining how I personally handle it.

It has everything to do with taste. Its in bad taste to show up at a dealer and ask for special treatment in regards to washing your car. Any normal dealer would tell you to take a flying fock if you asked them, “can I wash my own car on your property.” They would say, “that is a service we provide, take it or leave it.” I am aware REDHOT is asking for advice, and I put my .02 in. REDHOT be advised if you leave the dealer with the car covered in plastic and dirt, and you discover later the car has some scratches or whatever, I’m sure they will not honor the repairs. At the very most tell them not to wax it, other than that asking them to let you wash the car on dealer property is pretty stuck up, well unless you know the owner or something. There is no way in hell the dealer prep guys are going to ruin your paint, especially on a new cobra. I don’t know what happened to this rcogs character, but there is nothing to worry about. It’s the dealer’s job to make the car looks as good as possible upon delivery. This cobra is my 3rd black SVT, and it’s the 3rd time the dealer delivered a flawless car, enjoy it man, you only get to drive off the lot once. I can’t imagine how crappy it would be to drive a new cobra off the lot covered in crap, LOL.

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by Brad

It has everything to do with taste. Its in bad taste to show up at a dealer and ask for special treatment in regards to washing your car. Any normal dealer would tell you to take a flying fock if you asked them, “can I wash my own car on your property.” They would say, “that is a service we provide, take it or leave it.” I am aware REDHOT is asking for advice, and I put my .02 in. REDHOT be advised if you leave the dealer with the car covered in plastic and dirt, and you discover later the car has some scratches or whatever, I’m sure they will not honor the repairs. At the very most tell them not to wax it, other than that asking them to let you wash the car on dealer property is pretty stuck up, well unless you know the owner or something. There is no way in hell the dealer prep guys are going to ruin your paint, especially on a new cobra. I don’t know what happened to this rcogs character, but there is nothing to worry about. It’s the dealer’s job to make the car looks as good as possible upon delivery. This cobra is my 3rd black SVT, and it’s the 3rd time the dealer delivered a flawless car, enjoy it man, you only get to drive off the lot once. I can’t imagine how crappy it would be to drive a new cobra off the lot covered in crap, LOL.
I'm not here to argue with anyone and I have no more time to waste on this. I'm sure RedHotSnke will make a decision he feels comfortable with.

Elliotness

Established Member
Re: Re: Do it yourself

Originally posted by Brad

If they don’t wash it, they also skip taking all the wrapping off the car. Trust me, the dealer car care guys are better at taking all that crazy plastic wrap off the car then any of us are. Also to boot, they are less prone to scratch the car seeing all they do day in and day out is wash cars. They wash indoors, use damn good tools, and are just plain "skilled". Also for the record every Ford dealer I have ever been to uses outside detailing shops to clean their cars. A ford dealer will hire people from a detailing shop to do their in house work. If you ever go into a ford service area you’ll almost always see the car wash guy wearing clothes with the logo of a local detailing shop, as they are hired from an outside source. Just my .02, let them wash the car. They know what they are doing; at the very least, tell them to wash and not wax, then zaino her up when you get home.:beer:

Makes sense.. Just got the call 10 minutes ago. My car will be in tonight. :beer: :beer: :beer: I took your advice and told them to wash the car.....

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by 98kobra

Another good point. It's a long way back for me to drive to tell them about a scratch that I find later on (4 hours).... Closer to 2:45 minutes after break in.

Last edited:

Orange Poison

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your replys. ;-)

I might just let them wash my car minimum. I'll think about the wax. I do have to drive the car about 30 miles home, so maybe having the wax to protect the front-end might be a good idea. I have at least one more day to think about it.

Brad, you do make a good point about viewing the car clean just in case there are any scratches. It will be easier to detect that way.

Pulling the plastic coverings looks like a major pain in the ass too. I'll let them do it.

Elliot, Good Luck with your Cobra! Just a couple more days for me!

Well, I'm read to ROCK!

:thumbsup:

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by RedHotSnke
Thanks everyone for your replys. ;-)

I might just let them wash my car minimum. I'll think about the wax. I do have to drive the car about 30 miles home, so maybe having the wax to protect the front-end might be a good idea. I have at least one more day to think about it.

Brad, you do make a good point about viewing the car clean just in case there are any scratches. It will be easier to detect that way.

Pulling the plastic coverings looks like a major pain in the ass too. I'll let them do it.

Elliot, Good Luck with your Cobra! Just a couple more days for me!

Well, I'm read to ROCK!

:thumbsup:

Post pics:-D

Brad

Banned

I'm not here to argue with anyone and I have no more time to waste on this. I'm sure RedHotSnke will make a decision he feels comfortable with.

It was never an argument, like I said, taste can't be argued.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread