? about picking up new 03 Cobra

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Thats cool about you getting your new wheels. You are going to love it!

I'd go ahead and let the dealer wash it and even detail it. I think you will enjoy your first drive in your car alot more if it were looking really sharp instead of all dusty and dirty. I doubt they'd get any terrible swirl marks on it by having them do this... and even if they did put a little swirl you are going to wax and detail it after you get it home.

It's whatever you feel more comfortable with... but having a clean car as you drive it home would be nice.

Congrats on your new ride! :beer:

Orange Poison

Established Member
YGOHOME,

Sounds good to me too. I'll think I'll let 'em do it.

Got my Camera ready.

What about the window sticker? Do they usually save that for you?

Or do you have to request that they save it for you?

mosconiac

Established Member
Brad: Funny you should state that the dealers aren't using sandpaper on these cars. Have you ever seen what goes on in some of these prep shops? I can tell you that some ARE using the equivalent of sandpaper on your car.

I watched this process once and will never allow my car to be washed in a dealers prep shop...EVER. Some pimply HS kid (I'm sure he was a HIGHLY trained individual though) was washing a brand new car. He washes a panel, tosses his wash mit on the ground, grabs the hose, washes the panel off, grabs the mit again and commences to washing the next panel! There was obvious debris on that mit! I cringed.

Sooooo...is that acceptable performance?

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by RedHotSnke
YGOHOME,
What about the window sticker? Do they usually save that for you?

Or do you have to request that they save it for you?

I just got mine yesterday, drove up to the rail lot and picked it up before the carrier. When I took it to the detail shop for the dealer, I told the guys I wanted my window sticker, I did get it, ripped and crammed in my glove box...

Anyway, I also told them NO window etching, NO dealer stickers, NO NOTHING - and they didn't put my front license plate holder on - at least that was good!

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by mosconiac
Brad: Funny you should state that the dealers aren't using sandpaper on these cars. Have you ever seen what goes on in some of these prep shops? I can tell you that some ARE using the equivalent of sandpaper on your car.

I watched this process once and will never allow my car to be washed in a dealers prep shop...EVER. Some pimply HS kid (I'm sure he was a HIGHLY trained individual though) was washing a brand new car. He washes a panel, tosses his wash mit on the ground, grabs the hose, washes the panel off, grabs the mit again and commences to washing the next panel! There was obvious debris on that mit! I cringed.

Sooooo...is that acceptable performance?

Thats not how it works where I bought from! From what I have seen the guys that do the washing around here are "good." At the last 3 dealerships I bought from, all my cars have been perfect. Here is my 03 when I picked it up. I must say, I am a zaino freak, I love a perfect car, but when I rounded the corner and saw my 03, I was taken back by how well it was prepped. I guess you take a chance when you have the dealer wash your car, but the risk is very low.

dealer1.jpg

Last edited:

Orange Poison

Established Member
Yeah....I know what you mean about taking chances with the prep work

However, my dealer sells Saleen's and Roush's, so I'm think I might be ok.

As long as they don't get that wax crap on the black textured trim on the lower front vailance and rear!!!!

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by RedHotSnke
Yeah....I know what you mean about taking chances with the prep work

However, my dealer sells Saleen's and Roush's, so I'm think I might be ok.

As long as they don't get that wax crap on the black textured trim on the lower front vailance and rear!!!!

Thats funny, my dealer is Saleen and Roush too. Also for the record I have driven pretty much every model Saleen and Roush on that lot. They don't compair to the 03 cobra. Well the S281-E was pretty damn fast, but for 70k its not that much faster.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
If you bought black and you're going to sweat the light swirls...

Tough luck.

It comes swirled from the factory.

My car's been washed about 10 times, twice at the dealer. The swirls are about as noticable now as the day I picked it up. Only in direct sunlight, only from certain angles.

The chips and light scratches from 3 months of daily driving and dirty roads are building up slowly and will need attention.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by slow lane
If you bought black and you're going to sweat the light swirls...

Tough luck.

It comes swirled from the factory.

My car's been washed about 10 times, twice at the dealer. The swirls are about as noticable now as the day I picked it up. Only in direct sunlight, only from certain angles.

The chips and light scratches from 3 months of daily driving and dirty roads are building up slowly and will need attention.

Buy some Zaino. I used it all the time on my 01 cobra. Two coats of z5 per month for the 12 months I owned it and you couldnt see a single swirl, even in sun light.

Users who are viewing this thread