About to buy my first Fox Body

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Yes I know we have a Fox body section here but that place it pretty much dead. I know you guys in here have had them in the past or still do. So here goes.

At the end of this month I plan to pick up a friends 92 LX notch. I have always loved them but never owned one. I've owned a Terminator and SN95 Cobra though so I'm not new to mustangs.

I knew about the forged pistons in the OEM engine because back in the 90s my friends used to spray the piss out of em. LOL. Lately I've been reading up a little bit on the platform. Seems the general consensus is the block is the weak spot. Then I suppose the cast crank is next. I am buying a very low miles near stock car. I don't want to make it stupid fast but I would like it to be respectable and quick. I'd like to have it do 120-125 mph trap speeds in the 1/4 mile. Can I get there reliably with the stock block with a turbo or small centri? What RWHP would that take? 400ish?

This was a good read.

http://www.fiveohinfo.com/performance/basicfox50builds.html

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I believe stock block is good to 500. Around there I think they split. You should be able to get 300 something with hci.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
General consensus is 450rwhp on the factory block which is usually the weak spot. They tend to crack right down the lifter valley. I know some guys ran them to 600rwhp but never spun them over 6k so those guys argued it was the rpm tearing them up.

I did some AFR 165s and a cobra intake with a homemade turbo kit and made 459/503 @9 psi.

If I did a fox again I would go turbo in a heartbeat. I would probably go auto though cause my "world class" T5 was howling 500 miles later.

Turbomustangs.com or whatever the name changed to has a ton of info and you can probably score a cheap kit there.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
rpms kill the block more than hp. crank walk is another issue. you may want to seriously consider a 351w based motor (408), as it will handle way more than the 302 and cost about the same. Also, If you stay 302, consider a boss302 block or a dart shp. as far as the boss 302, you will have people that say dont go past a 3.25 inch stroke and others say up to 3.4 is fine.

if you want a mild 400 +- hp 347, you can do it pretty cheap

Afr 185's $1500 ($1200ish on craigslist)
cam $300
stroker kit $800 http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_95&products_id=1069
holley systemax 2 $500 (craigslist)

Just remember, fox bodies dont need a ton of hp to run good times. while a windsor will never make power like the coyote, NOTHING sounds like a cammed windsor...

[video=youtube;pnOV0VjkGCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnOV0VjkGCc[/video]

Adower

Established Member
Yes I know we have a Fox body section here but that place it pretty much dead. I know you guys in here have had them in the past or still do. So here goes.

At the end of this month I plan to pick up a friends 92 LX notch. I have always loved them but never owned one. I've owned a Terminator and SN95 Cobra though so I'm not new to mustangs.

I knew about the forged pistons in the OEM engine because back in the 90s my friends used to spray the piss out of em. LOL. Lately I've been reading up a little bit on the platform. Seems the general consensus is the block is the weak spot. Then I suppose the cast crank is next. I am buying a very low miles near stock car. I don't want to make it stupid fast but I would like it to be respectable and quick. I'd like to have it do 120-125 mph trap speeds in the 1/4 mile. Can I get there reliably with the stock block with a turbo or small centri? What RWHP would that take? 400ish?

This was a good read.

All you need is a hci (afr or tws heads/systemax intake and choose your cam) and vortec strim.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
General consensus is 450rwhp on the factory block which is usually the weak spot. They tend to crack right down the lifter valley. I know some guys ran them to 600rwhp but never spun them over 6k so those guys argued it was the rpm tearing them up.

I did some AFR 165s and a cobra intake with a homemade turbo kit and made 459/503 @9 psi.

If I did a fox again I would go turbo in a heartbeat. I would probably go auto though cause my "world class" T5 was howling 500 miles later.

Turbomustangs.com or whatever the name changed to has a ton of info and you can probably score a cheap kit there.

My old 89 LX was putting down 475 WHP. Trapped 119 MPH. (C4 trans w/MVB & 3.73 gears)

earico

Established Member
Thanks for all the input fellas. I'm soaking it all in.

I went and drove the car yesterday. A friend of mine has it in storage at the moment. Errmagod. It was the first time I had seen it. The car is M I N T. Has 14k miles on it and I cannot wait.

rpms kill the block more than hp. crank walk is another issue. you may want to seriously consider a 351w based motor (408), as it will handle way more than the 302 and cost about the same. Also, If you stay 302, consider a boss302 block or a dart shp. as far as the boss 302, you will have people that say dont go past a 3.25 inch stroke and others say up to 3.4 is fine.

cam $300
stroker kit $800 http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_95&products_id=1069

Just remember, fox bodies dont need a ton of hp to run good times. while a windsor will never make power like the coyote, NOTHING sounds like a cammed windsor...

Tell me more about the 408. I was already thinking that may be better. I was looking and was wondering by the time I pick up a SC or turbo and HCI for the 302 I may be better of with a 408 instead. Probably wouldn't be that much more cost. I'll be doing all the labor myself. What can a 408 make RWHP wise and still have nice street manners?

Sn95Snake

Established Member

cam $300

[video=youtube;pnOV0VjkGCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnOV0VjkGCc[/video]

That thing sounds mean!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would definitely go with a 351 based block. It should be able to handle your current goals and a lot of future upgrades.

Dusten

Established Member

This was a good read.

My buddy traps 122 on his stock block car. Afr heads, f cam, on 3 kit

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
120 mile an hour trap with a 408 requires almost no effort.most off-the-shelf Parts could do it. Now if you select your parts carefully and do all the little things that matter 125 + is not a stretch at all.

If this is a streetcar I would suggest looking at a set of Edelbrock Victor jr. TFS R an AFR 205 heads can any set of heads that can flow 300 CFM should give you 600 horsepower 408 Windsor. Motor that size can handle a .600 lift cam that would be very Street friendly. Also it should easily lay down 500 pounds of torque in the mid-range more than enough to keep you glued to the seat.

If you really want to go fast look into Fox Lake cylinder heads. They have a set of heads that flow over 400 CFM support 750 naturally aspirated horsepower. They are the real deal

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I have a 408w in my cj5. Bottom end was built/top end and cam spec'd by a shop that builds Baja race engines in SoCal. It's about 10:1, Vic Jr heads, cam is @.600 and 295 duration. He's done a bunch of them and they all dyno about 495hp and over 400ftlbs by 3k rpm. These are flywheel numbers. Mine sounds nasty and pulls hard but my cheap little heads and intake 5.0 with a 1500$ turbo kit pulled harder. Cost way less too.

earico

Established Member
Thanks for all the detailed information guys. You rock!

I've pretty much decided to do all the suspension stuff first. Wheels, 31 spline, welded tubes, 5 lug, disc brakes and etc, etc. Power will be the last thing I add and it will more than likely be a mild cam turbo build with a T56 so it is more of a comfortable cruiser. I'm leaning towards an upgraded block and Hellion turbo kit. Even though 450-500 rwhp is all i would ever want I would rather it be built with some margin of error. So a block will be in order. I feel going this route will have better street manners. I love the sound of the 408s I see in videos but I think I would like a more docile car long term.

earico

Established Member
Picked it up: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1117550-Finally-got-another-Mustang

IMAG0043_zpsk7a5ub8s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread