ABS brake light on after engine wash

Dagwood

Established Member
Just wondering if anybody may have a simple answere to this. I realize the ABS system is complicated with many parts.

I drove my 99 Cobra at the IRP in Indianapolis over the weekend and drove it home with no problems. Sunday morning I cleaned the car and rinsed down the engine compartment. I used simple green and just rinsed with water. The engine compartment is very clean. The car sat for about an hour and I moved it into the garage. The next time I started the car several hours later the ABS light was on and the traction control light was on.

I checked all the fuses and they are all OK. Anybody know what I might have f*&^d up this time? :cryying:

Thanks

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
I'm not sure if it will work, but try to reset the computer in the car. unplug the negative post to the battery and leave it off for 5 minutes. Then reconnect it and start the car.

PS. I hope you don't have an aftermarket radio because you will have to reset ALL of the stations

Good luck:thumbsup:

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
He said the car sat for a few hours before he started it again. Does it take that long for it to dry?

Well, actually, you maybe right if it's waterlogged or something:beer:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
As a power wash co. owner, I've found that the 1st time you wash an engine is the scary one. If it doesn't short out the first time you're probably ok for every time after that [unless you poke holes in your wiring or expose electronics somehow.

As stated above, let it dry thoroughly and see if it still is on. Try the reset, but if that doesn't work, and it is water damage and not just coincidence, you may be looking at a fried electronics part. Hopefully something cheap. I don't do any engine cleaning except my own because the risk of shorting something out is too great IMHO.

I used to own an IROC Camaro. I washed the engine after I had it about 6 months. Shorted the computer. Fixed under warranty. About three years later, I washed the engine again. Shorted the computer again. Had to pay for that one. Never washed that engine again. Now my LX Stang that I had for 11 years never shorted anything when I washed its engine many times.

Good luck!

Dagwood

Established Member
Its been sitting for a couple days and I tried pulling the battery cable. I bled the brakes tonight and cleaned a bunch of crud off the front sensors, pulled the battery again. Light is still on. I guess it could be something other than the wash or the track time. I've just never had to deal with the ABS system before. I guess I'll have to take it in. I hate spending money on something that doesnt make the car go faster though.

Maybe if I say my prayers tonight and leave some Coors Light out for the Cobra ferrys it will be OK tomorrow. Well, maybe....

Dagwood

Established Member
:DI GOT IT FIXED>

I finally made some use out of my Ford Service Manual DVD.

I was able to locate the control unit module for the ABS under the car right under my S/C. There is a large electrical plug that plugs into the control module side of the hydraulic control unit. That plug goes "down" into the control module. There is a clever little slide lock that cams the plug down into place. Some water or other crud must have gotten down into the plug and caused a little corrosion because I pulled it out and inserted it several times and the light went out. It was not wet inside as best as I could tell. I'll get some contact cleaner tomorrow and clean it up right.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP WITH THIS. ON TO GO FAST STUFF.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread