ABS light came on???

1bad_gt

Established Member
Hey guys!!! I have a 97 snake. It has 68,000 miles on it. My ABS light just came on today and will not go off. I know a lot about these cars but not the ABS system. Can someone give me some ideas where to start. Can codes be pulled with a scanner? How do the sensors work? Any help in the matter is greatly appreciated!!! I also just lowered the car about a week ago if that has anything to do with it. But the light just came on today so I don't think it would be related. Thanks!!!

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Yes. Its probably just a speed sensor. My buddy has one of them $3k snap on scanners, and it told me it was the right rear. Nice easy way to narrow it down. :)

Autozone or Pep Boys wont pull those cause of a "liability"....only god knows why? Scanning a code isnt going to kill you...[/rant]
]

freakshow12

Established Member
its gonna throw a code 61 I bet bad abs motor. this is becoming common on these cars and its expensive. most have been loose connections to the abs motor. like mine the light comes on for a while if its been wet or humid and if its been dry for a while it goes out. nice thing about these is teh abs has nothing to do with the normal operation of the brakes. so it will still stop and I bet if you try it the abs will still work and the pedal will pulse like it should.

1bad_gt

Established Member
Yep that's the code!!! So where exactly is this connection at so I can check it out? How much is a new ABS motor? Thanks again!!!

freakshow12

Established Member
check all the wheel sensors then check all connections on the motor( its on the pass side beside the rad down low) I was quoted 1600 cdn so a grand US for the motor! my opinion is the light will burn out for cheaper!

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Haha..You canookies are something else...

I am with you though...I think if the light went out at this point, I would be lost without it...

Users who are viewing this thread