ABS Light

StreetSnake

Established Member
Lately my ABS light has been coming on and going off while Im driving also when it comes on my traction control turns off based on the fact that the light illuminates on the traction control switch. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?

sassafras

Established Member
Bad ABS sensor, Bad ABS module, Dirty ABS sensor? Could likely be any of these. I would take the wheels off and clean the area around each sensor first and see if this fixes the problem. I believe the dealership is the only place that has the proper tools to scan the car to see which sensor is causing the problem. Also the traction control automatically kicks off if your ABS system is throwing a code.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Bad ABS sensor, Bad ABS module, Dirty ABS sensor? Could likely be any of these. I would take the wheels off and clean the area around each sensor first and see if this fixes the problem. I believe the dealership is the only place that has the proper tools to scan the car to see which sensor is causing the problem. Also the traction control automatically kicks off if your ABS system is throwing a code.

Thanks Sassafras I'll check it out this wk-end:beer:

Deftones

Established Member
Man, I just recently had the same problem happen to me. It comes on and off randomly as of a week ago for the 1st time ever and I only have 17,xxx miles on her. Is this common for ABS Sensors or ABS Modules to go bad early on our cars?

sassafras

Established Member
Man, I just recently had the same problem happen to me. It comes on and off randomly as of a week ago for the 1st time ever and I only have 17,xxx miles on her. Is this common for ABS Sensors or ABS Modules to go bad early on our cars?

It's more than likely dirty or wet, clean it first and see if that fixes it.

welby05

Established Member
I have a 2005 GT and I have put wheel off of a 2007 Cobra on it. I'm having the same problem (ABS light and "Traction Control Off" light on. Excuse my ignorance but does the 05 have the sensor on the wheel ? :shrug:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I have a 2005 GT and I have put wheel off of a 2007 Cobra on it. I'm having the same problem (ABS light and "Traction Control Off" light on. Excuse my ignorance but does the 05 have the sensor on the wheel ? :shrug:

Are your fronts different diameter then the rears?
That will trip the ABS

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
The only time my ABS light went on , few seconds later all the lights in the dashboard went on and off, then 2 minutes later my alternator died :(

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Yes, ABS will disable and light will come on if voltage goes very low (8-9 volts)
Radio also cuts off at that time.

Either condition will be very apparent by the poor running of the engine

antiv6

Established Member
Have you driven in the rain lately?
I've had abs issues, first clean all the abs wheel sensors.After that id disconnect the battery for a bit then if the problem is still there unplug the abs sensor and clean the connector(mine had water in it from having the hood vents open and driving trough a crazy rain storm). If the lights still on you need to get the code read. Abs sensors are cheap, the module can be found used or new from some people on here for around $100. I think from ford they are about a grand now. Good luck

cobra_matt

Established Member
Lately my ABS light has been coming on and going off while Im driving also when it comes on my traction control turns off based on the fact that the light illuminates on the traction control switch. Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?

I had the same exact problem. Brought the car into the stealership and had the ABS sensors replaced and that didn't do the trick. They then determined it was a bad ECU, had that switched out with a new one, and problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread