ABS or no ABS

Cobra-R

Established Member
sqidd said:
Do F1 cars have ABS?

How about Champ or Indy cars?

What car racing classes use ABS?

I know that none of the bike racing classes use ABS, but some do have traction control.

Rules are going to be the determining factor for or against ABS in racing.

Rules outlaw ABS in F1. Many F1 racers have lost races because they flat spotted tires.

In AI racing, guys are removing ABS for the weight savings. They go one step further and go to manual brakes to eliminate more weight..........and they say you get a better feel. I don't know, never driven a racecar with manual brakes. I hear they are hard to adjust to though.

Brian

Last edited:

sqidd

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
In AI racing, guys are removing ABS for the weight savings. They go one step further and go to manual brakes to eliminate more weight..........and they say you get a better feel. I don't know, never driven a racecar with manual brakes. I hear they are hard to adjust to though.

Brian

Not to mention hard to push on the pedal:eek:

I am going to keep my eye out for some pads that are a bit more agressive than the GT500 ones I have in there right now. Something with a bit more "bite" would probably do a lot for the brakes I'm sure. I don't realy need any more power, they have a fair ammount of that. They just don't let you know what they are doing at all. But like I said above I am spoiled with bike stuff. I doubt you could get a car to give that kind of feedback no matter what you use as hardware. There are way too many moving parts and they are a long way from the pedal. Not to mention your foot is a lot dumber than your fingers.:-D

I see you are in Wisconsin. Any track days I should keep my eye out for at Road America? That place is a madhouse on a bike! I imagine it's pretty cool in a fast car too (I would hate to be there in a Miata though).

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
I think one of the things thats being forgotten here is that if your ABS kicks in, it means your tires have lost traction.

I rarely ever even encounter my ABS on the track. I'll get maybe one pulse out of the brake pedal. Even at Gingerman, in the rain, on the v710s, I dont lock 'em up.

I guess that means I can brake even later, and harder still. But ya know what? I'm still clocking a respectable lap time and going through brake pads like mad. I'd rather brake 50' earlier and get a weekend out of a set of front pads, than engage the ABS on every corner and eat up a set of $190 brake pads in a day.

I think what I'm trying to say is don't overdrive your tires. your car will thank you for it.

But hey, thats me. I'm just doing the open track/driving school thing. You racers look at things differently :D

Its only an opinion, but my opinions are fully guaranteed. if you dont like it, the next opinion is free.
:pepper:

sqidd

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
Its only an opinion, but my opinions are fully guaranteed. if you dont like it, the next opinion is free.
:pepper:

:rockon: :beer: :thumbsup:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
PETSNKE said:
ac427cobra said:
Larry:

Cliff makes it look like the grass is fun?!! :shrug: ;-)

That's only acceptable for those that live south of the Mason-Dixon line:D

:lol: I guess I better pack up and move south:-D

I get into my ABS on occssion and I like having it around just in case since I tend to late break and get on them a bit hard. My DD doesn't have ABS and it can be a real bitch sometimes (in the snow particularly). I say keep it around unless you really feel that it is worthless to you. As far as trailbraking, I don't trailbrake per se but I am "easy off" as I am turning in to help the truck settle into the corner.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Brian has an ego???:lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally I believe that ABS should be used as a backup for when the car is being overdriven and help the driver regain control. Those that get into ABS every lap are usually the ones that eventually end up in the kitty litter.

Sqidd - If you believe that being a fantastic bike racer makes you a good sedan based road racer then you DEFINITELY have a lot to learn. The dynamic involved with a bike are very different than a car.

Leave the ABS alone. A great driver will not even know it's there until he gets in trouble and then is glad to have it save his skin.......

sqidd

Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Sqidd - If you believe that being a fantastic bike racer makes you a good sedan based road racer then you DEFINITELY have a lot to learn. The dynamic involved with a bike are very different than a car.

I never ever said that. I don't ever intend to be any kind of car "racer". I just want to go out and have some fun a few times a year. A vacation from bikes.

That being said, are you trying to claim that having the skills to get arround a track on two wheels does not give me a massive advantage over your average Joe who is doing his first track day?:)

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Let me rephrase what I was trying to say:

If you think being a fantastic pro level bike racer makes you a good sedan based (that translates into car) open tracker then you DEFINITELY have a lot to learn. Over the years I have seen PLENTY of people who claim to be pro bike racers, dirt track racers and others and it is VERY obvious from the first turn that they have a lot to learn. I prefer not to ride with these people as there the ones that "know how to drive" because they can click off laps 5-10 seconds better than the fastest car at the event. I work with two people who used to race bikes (both either had factory rides or work with the factory teams) and both have told me that it is completely different with very little transfer from one to the other (expect for the fact that you know where the turns are). Perhaps you are the exception but I doubt it based on the facts that you consider "testing" on public roads to be acceptable.

Any experienced driver will tell you that before you go throwing parts at any vehicle you want to take a baseline and then make small adjustments. How many track events did you participate in with your 07 Mustang? If the answer is one then I'm sure you have a list of areas that need attention. From the list of parts you are going to install it seems that you are in the "throw everything but the kitchen sink" at the car and hope it all works. If you had done your homework you probably would have realized that the basic car is actually VERY good and probably a lot more capable than you are (that can be said for most people so don't take offense to that remark). You would have also known that with a brake upgrade, sticky tires, good seats and a 5-6 point harness you'd have an awesome track car that will put many cars to shame.

But then again....who am I........

sqidd

Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
But then again....who am I........

Obviously an idiot. You are in the business of selling a bunch of stuff that, according to you I need. But instead of taking me by the hand (and therefore taking my money) you would rather insult me.

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
sqidd said:
Obviously an idiot. You are in the business of selling a bunch of stuff that, according to you I need. But instead of taking me by the hand (and therefore taking my money) you would rather insult me.

If I'm not mistaken I believe I've told you to buy less rather than more. AND most of the stuff I recommended I don't even sell. If that makes me an idiot so be it. In my opinion an idiot would be someone who recommends a bunch of stuff you DON'T need just to make a fast buck.

You come here asking for advise so if you really want to learn something you might want to do more listening from the people who have been down the road before. If you think you know better than everyone else here then stop asking questions.

So far you've called me an idiot and told Brian that he's got an ego. Who are you going to call names next........

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
sqidd said:
Do you just want to be mad? It sure seems like you went way out of your way to make a very thin connection just so you could be angry.

I stated I know a LOT about trail breaking. I am a PRO LEVEL motorcycle roadracer. I know a whole lot about going fast on something that will tip over, high side you, flip over backward, etc. I was trying to clarify that I know a lot about going fast and what it takes to do that. I go around race tracks a whole hell of a lot faster than you do, I guarantee it. Did you see the latest test of the FR500 that is on the cover of Car and Driver magazine? Well, with that car and a pro driver they were still 4 seconds a lap off what I run at the same track on any one of my bikes. And they were 15 seconds a lap off of my times in the Shelby GT500 they had there. Do you think that qualifies me to say I know a thing or two about getting around a track?

I did not jump on here to tell everyone how fast I am and have a pissing contest with anyone. But there is always someone (thats you) who knows everything that will be happy to bless the masses with their incredible level of wisdom and expirience. The problem starts when you have no idea who you are talking too.

It’s sad that you find it’s necessary to spit out the standard “That kind of talk will get your car on the flatbed” comment right away. Do you feel threatened? Do you have an ego problem? Do you think I don’t know anything about “limits”? I have crashed and hit the ground going faster than you have ever even gone in a car. I know plenty about vehicle limits as well as my own. And yes, before you puff your chest up and think of some snappy retort, I will back up everything I just stated above. Any time, anywhere.

Now can we all play nice again and maybe get back to the topic at hand? I just want to maybe do a few track days next year and have a little fun with my car. Most of the people here seem very helpful and I would like to do what I can to/with the car before I take it too the track. I don't need any internet drving lessons.:rolleyes:

Sqidd,

Read the Rules and treat the mods with respect or you will find your posting privileges revoked.

Thank you for your cooperation.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
the more you type the more of an asshat you look like.

its guys like you that know everything and cant be told anything, that end up with a car stuffed in the tirewall.

stick to bikes. we dont need guys like you at car events.

sqidd said:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
oh i forgot to mention the fact that i made that post as a person who, at one time, has found himself burried in kitty litter up against the tire wall.

the guys in the intermediate group are way scarrier than the newbies.

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread