ABS ring on rear axle help

que4dog

Established Member
How do you remove the abs ring on the rear axle? I can't find any info on the 05+ Mustang axles. Your assistance is appreciated.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You want to remove it and not use it or do you want to transfer it to another axle?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Transfer to another axle.

When I bought my Moser axles I had my local machine shop pull the rings off of my old axles using their press and then press them on the Mosers. My machine shop friend told me that there is very little interference between the ring and the axle in "most" cases. He said usually they pull off without much pressure applied.

I was going to buy two new rings and have them installed and leave my oem axles complete. The rings were only available from Ford with the axles, so don't damage them.

R

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
They are pretty fragile, so beware. A bearing separator and press have always worked well for me. Then again, you'll find people saying they successfully tapped or heated them and got them off. I recommend doing it with a press.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
They are pretty fragile, so beware. A bearing separator and press have always worked well for me. Then again, you'll find people saying they successfully tapped or heated them and got them off. I recommend doing it with a press.

^^^Yes, that is why I let a machine shop use a press to remove it evenly and install it evenly on each axle. Hammering on it with a punch to remove and then trying to center it and then bang it back on was not worth the $20 charge the machine shop charged to remove and re-install it on each axle.

If the ring is a "more loose" fit, doing it in the garage may not be a big deal with a little heat, but if one or both are a "tighter fit", and you distort/damage a ring, the only way to get one from Ford is like $250 or $300 for a new axle.

R

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm not sure about that Robert. They were available from Ford at fairly reasonable prices not too long ago.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'm not sure about that Robert. They were available from Ford at fairly reasonable prices not too long ago.

Then maybe the parts person at my dealership did not know how to look them up? They found the axle with the ring installed, but not the ring by itself. It could have been my parts person.......

I would have left my oem axles complete if I could have bought the rings.......oh well.......

R

que4dog

Established Member
Yeah I had a hard time finding them but I'm happy to report that I patiently & successfully removed and installed. One place listed them for $62 apiece. I'll post a picture on how I tapped it out when I get to my computer.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yeah I had a hard time finding them but I'm happy to report that I patiently & successfully removed and installed. One place listed them for $62 apiece. I'll post a picture on how I tapped it out when I get to my computer.

Actually yes, I did find a company that sold these rings, but they did not have the 2005-up Mustang application, only the 2004- earlier. That was about a year ago.....

R

que4dog

Established Member
ABS axle ring removal 2005+ Mustangs

Ok the good news is I did manage to get the ABS ring off. I hope this is helpful to someone else because there is no information for the 2005+ Mustangs without taking it to a machine shop etc.

1. I removed the axle from the car
2. I removed all the lug studs
3. Place a decent sized flat-head screw driver in the stud hole with the flat section of the screw driver against the ABS ring (see picture).

mk7sdk.jpg

4. Strike the screw drive with (2) moderate but firm strikes.
5. Repeat in each lug hole with (2) strikes until the ABS rings starts to evenly move free.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Ok the good news is I did manage to get the ABS ring off. I hope this is helpful to someone else because there is no information for the 2005+ Mustangs without taking it to a machine shop etc.

1. I removed the axle from the car
2. I removed all the lug studs
3. Place a decent sized flat-head screw driver in the stud hole with the flat section of the screw driver against the ABS ring (see picture).

mk7sdk.jpg

4. Strike the screw drive with (2) moderate but firm strikes.
5. Repeat in each lug hole with (2) strikes until the ABS rings starts to evenly move free.

Good idea about the wheel stud removal for access to the ring.

Did it go on the other axle as easily? Did you freeze the ring?

R

que4dog

Established Member
Good idea about the wheel stud removal for access to the ring.

Did it go on the other axle as easily? Did you freeze the ring?

R

No freezing required but I sprayed wd40 to help it loosen. Two moderate firm hits (with caution) all the way around several times. I believe I got it out in 3-4 cycles within 7 minutes.
I tapped it on the other axle using a piece of wood on opposite sides until flush.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert, you'd want to cool the axle or heat the ring, not the other way around.

:)

You are right Tob, it is the axle that I stuck in my upright freezer and the ring in the oven. The heated ring slid about 1/2 way down ring mating surface on the frozen axle, and then stopped. From that point I brought the axle that I had started to the machine shop for them to finish, and let them do the other axle completely. :thumbsup:

R

Users who are viewing this thread