AC compressor problem?

Silver03

Established Member
Started up the car this morning and the defroster was still on from last night and I hear a horrible noise coming from the engine. I pop the hood and the sound goes away, I listen for a another minute or 2 and it does it again. I turned off the defroster and it stopped making the noise. It seems that the clutch on the AC compressor may have locked up somehow. Anyone else have this problem?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Sounds like the same thing that mine just started doing two days ago......when the compressor comes on, there's this really obnoxious noise coming fron that area. Haven't had a chance to really check it out yet. Anybody have any ideas on this one???

mtl-biker

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Sounds like the same thing that mine just started doing two days ago......when the compressor comes on, there's this really obnoxious noise coming fron that area. Haven't had a chance to really check it out yet. Anybody have any ideas on this one???

However, it's simple to describe...with the hood up and the engine running with the A/C on max and the rheostat set to full cold, watch the compressor cycle. You should see a significant movement of the A/C hard lines, which are the gray lines with the schraeder valves on them (passenger's side of the engine compartment, near the strut tower). Follow these lines to the firewall, you should see a big black round thing. That's the accumulator, and it's the part that bumps the firewall each time the A/C cycles on (when it sends a slug of freon through the system). All you have to do is isolate that canister from the firewall and you're done.

Sounds like someone else was able to solve the problem by re-positioning the accumulator in the bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread