Ac trouble help ?

tcrstang

Established Member
whats going on i have a 93 coupe 5.0. My problem seems to be that the wire that connects to the compressor both sides have fire and the compressor does not turn. I know the compressor is good because i took of the plug and ran a hot wire and a ground wire and the compressor spins. Im wondering where i should start looking.

Thanks any help is appreciated
Tim

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Have you checked your freon levels? If you are low on freon the low side pressure switch will not allow the compressor to engage.

tcrstang

Established Member
Have you checked your freon levels? If you are low on freon the low side pressure switch will not allow the compressor to engage.

Well whenever i was changing it over to r-134a this problem occurred when i bought the car it did not have ac. So i put all back on and when we did it we put 5 cans of freon with the oil so it should be good I had to ran the two ( one hot and one ground ) to just get the compressor going so it would take the freon. Is it possible this low side pressure switch is just bad? if so how go about finding this out. Or any other ideas? Also took the plug off the low side pressure switch and tried to jump it and the compressor did nothing
Thanks for the help

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
5 Cans? Wow, that's probably WAY to much. I don't remember the system capacity in the 5.0's off hand, but I'm guessing that's a whole lot more than you need. Get a set of good A/C gauges and book. Fill the system to the proper capacity, and then start to trouble shoot.

At this point it sounds like you know the compressor works at least, but before you start running it make sure your freon levels are correct. If you have to much in there you'll destroy the compressor.

I'll get back to you with more info later this evening or tomorrow...don't really have the time to do a write up at work.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Here is a link to a wiring diagram for the A/C system....not much to it:
mustang88AC_Controls.gif

If your low pressure switch is working, check the WOT switch. Make sure all of your grounds are hooked up correctly, and verify that you have the proper amount of freon in the system. Granted, you'll need to have the compressor running to get a reading on the gauges, but you can at least know offhand if you have to much in there already based on how much you charged the system with.

Users who are viewing this thread