Accelerate faster with O/D off??

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
I have a stock '02 auto GT Conv. Why do I accelerate faster with O/D off?? It seems like with O/D off I accelerate much better past 130 than with it on. I know it takes away some top end because my rpm's are higher than normal with O/D off.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
you can have the O/D off.....but on the GT i believe after 70mph it gets switched back on

a stock gt auto vert? accelerating well above 130mph? i cant see that happening :shrug:

Last edited:

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
BeyondLimitz said:
you can have the O/D off.....but on the GT i believe after 70mph it gets switched back on

a stock gt auto vert? accelerating well above 130mph? i cant see that happening :shrug:

No your wrong. It stays on until you switch it off. Also buddy I didn't say it accelerates well past 130 I said it accelerates "better" with O/D off. I've hit the 140 mph club bone stock on a cool night after work. It can be done even in my stock auto vert :rollseyes Where I live there's a plenty of open long stretches where I can push it.

Last edited:

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
from what I know once you go WOT overdrive switches and the car goes to 3rd no matter whether the button is on or not, I am not 100 percent sure though.

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
well, if it indeed stays off, then you would have one less gear which means the 3 gears left are going to be spaced out more (so each one lasts longer). Then you would have more "push" because your using more rpm's and thus more of the powerband. I don't know if that is clear enough?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I would imagine it's because the car probably shifts into overdrive around those speeds if you have it on...

Users who are viewing this thread