Achievement unlocked: bolt on daily driver pulls a tire

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Ran my car at the NMRA spring break shootout this weekend and had a pretty good time. Installed some rear suspension last week and had the axle tubes welded as well as added the JMS avenger drag wheels and Hoosier QTP's. Still have some tinkering to do with the launch technique, but I still got a pic of something that I've wanted ever since I've started drag racing, a car that I own and drive lifting a tire.

3bcce37f7ad7585476a3f221ad54be1a.jpg

My best run happened after I did the true street runs and was competing in the bracket class. For some reason, this class was only 1/8th mile. Anyways, going off of what the car ran on that 1/8th pass (1.58 sixty foot, 7.26@96mph) and comparing it to my other slips, it would have been in the 11.20's@122. Here is a vid of the pass.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Congrats, NMRA events are always a blast! Plus they take awesome shots of you launching your car :).

corysmach1

Established Member
Great job! What's your raceweight? What was the DA? Have you dynoed the car? My friends joke with me about my facial expressions when racing too lol.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Great job! What's your raceweight? What was the DA? Have you dynoed the car? My friends joke with me about my facial expressions when racing too lol.

Well, not sure exactly of the race weight but the car is pretty much full weight. The only thing I have removed is the front sway bar and it has brembos. I did dyno the car but the numbers are a little weird. The "dyno jet" number was 455 rwhp and the other number was 409rwhp (this was the number from the dyno manufacturer). I also don't know the DA but it was pretty warm, made the run around 3pm so it was probably just over 80 degrees and if I had to guess, around 1500 ft DA.

Nice! I've got a 3.31 car too. What RPM did you launch at?

This was 5k rpm, going to go higher next time out.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Very nice! I'd try launching at 6k and see how it does.

I really need to get my axle tubes welded but can't find anybody to do it

5lho

Established Member
WTG, man!

I did it on my stock BBP '12 with a Procal tune and a slick. Hoisting the heavyweight BBP wheels was worth it. 4500 rpm clutch dump to WOT. I have a pic at home, too, just like yours.

Dave_6

Established Member
Well, not sure exactly of the race weight but the car is pretty much full weight. The only thing I have removed is the front sway bar and it has brembos. I did dyno the car but the numbers are a little weird. The "dyno jet" number was 455 rwhp and the other number was 409rwhp (this was the number from the dyno manufacturer). I also don't know the DA but it was pretty warm, made the run around 3pm so it was probably just over 80 degrees and if I had to guess, around 1500 ft DA.

This was 5k rpm, going to go higher next time out.

I've been to the track one time with mine on some 26" MT Drags and it was some months ago before I added the CJ intake; I hadn't driven on slicks in years so I was a little nervous. I was launching around 5000 to 5500 but my best 60 foot was a 1.7 with my best time being a 7.70@89. I was somewhat pleased that I got in the 7s but I was expecting it to at least go 7.50s or even 40s. Granted if you look at my sig I don't have optimal drag racing suspension so I do have more to gain, especially now if I change that to go along with the CJ.

Didn't help that I was afraid I was going to break the rearend, lol.

5lho

Established Member
I did clutch dump launches with dead hook on my 2012 3.73 BBP from 4500-6000. It didn't 60 any faster or pick the front up any higher launching over 4500....

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I've been to the track one time with mine on some 26" MT Drags and it was some months ago before I added the CJ intake; I hadn't driven on slicks in years so I was a little nervous. I was launching around 5000 to 5500 but my best 60 foot was a 1.7 with my best time being a 7.70@89. I was somewhat pleased that I got in the 7s but I was expecting it to at least go 7.50s or even 40s. Granted if you look at my sig I don't have optimal drag racing suspension so I do have more to gain, especially now if I change that to go along with the CJ.

Didn't help that I was afraid I was going to break the rearend, lol.

Yeah, you just have to experiment. My car would either bog really bad or spin all through 1st when I would just dump the clutch at 5000-5500 rpm, not that it was a bad spin, the car was still moving out and would go 1.6x sixty foots, but it seems to move better by doing an aggressive clutch slip. It doesn't lift the tire with the slip, but it's going 1.5x with this technique and I can only see it going faster with more practice and figuring out which RPM it likes better.

Dave_6

Established Member
I was trying to do an aggressive slip so I may have been slipping it too much. I do have the front sway bar off but the struts and springs are so stiff it's hard to tell it isn't on the car. I just need to go back and try again.

5lho

Established Member
Be comforted on the breakage front. I shot the previous car down track over 100 times like I describe above, (1.6 60s very steadily) no problems with anything in the driveline...though it did trash the rear sway bar end links and one shock but, Ford sponsored me through the Warranty Racing Team.

The current car has a good collection of nitrous-assisted launches without any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread