Acrid smell, not usual electrical.

iflyagfour

Established Member
Just drove the car for the first time in two weeks yesterday, burned about half a tank of gas. As I was pulling into the garage last night, I started smelling an acrid smell. Not quite electrical, not clutch, but something warm. Definately not coolant. Could not see any visable smoke but noticed it was stronger coming out of the hood vents. Opened the hood and it was stronger towards the left bank where the alternator lives. Could it be a alternator going bad??? Any input is great. All indications were normal, it didnt appear to do it at idle but under a load on the drive train. Im at a loss.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Just a guess, but get a flashlight and look UNDER the car around your exhaust, cats & mufflers. If a plastic bag gets under there it will melt onto your pipes and stink for weeks...

iflyagfour

Established Member
Yeah, thats what I thought it might have been at first but checked that. After more troubleshooting I believe its the alternator. It tends to be noticeable when I put a heavy electrical load on the car. One of the local Terminator guys said it before I could get the words out of my mouth. He had said that his car ate four alternators over time. The car is not pullied but I can see it happening since its not used to being driven much. I am going to swap it out and install a idler kit on the thing and hope that cures it.

coild

Established Member
Also, invest in a battery tender since it sounds like you don't drive it much. I only drive mine once or twice a month and I still have the original battery and alternator. Just hook up the tender when she will be sitting for more than a few days. You won't be sorry.

iflyagfour

Established Member
Probably not a bad idea. I mean it is my dd but I am out of town that much. I do have a Optima red top in it for now but Im sure a tender wouldnt hurt a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread