Adapting new Alpine headunit to MACH system...

svtguy22

Established Member
Ok guys, Just picked up a Alpine 9885 and started to install it. I bought the main harness adapter, but I didnt realize the is a total of 3 plugs on the back of the factory unit. The harness I got only adapts the main plug, not the two others. Does anyone know where I can get the additional adapters and what brand/part number they are? I searched but came up with nothing

Thank you!

TK Doom

Established Member
I just bought a 9885 for my Coupe...but mine was plug and play due to a full rebuild when I bought the car.

Best bet is just go to a local shop and they should sell a wiring harness.

I had a hard time finding one when I first bought mine, (back in 05), but I did eventually get one that worked. Later I bought all aftermarket stuff.

svtguy22

Established Member
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
svtguy22,

Try calling Crutchfield pimp... ! :beer:

I just did and they said there isn't an adapter for what I need to do. He told me I can't use the factory amps and have to bypass them... :shrug:

CobraMac

Established Member
This is true, to put a new head unit in and for the sound quality to be good, you have to bypass the amp. Just to tell you it's a BITCH to do yourself. I used to install car audio and it took me over an hour to do myself. I suggest taking it to a place to have it done. Also, just to let you know, once you bypass the amp, the volume of the stock speakers isn't going to be as loud, and again the quality still won't be that great. That's why most people who get new stereo's also get new speakers as well

CobraMac

Established Member
I don't think anyone has done a write-up on it. If I do it again for someone I will definitel take pictures and do a write up, it's just a long process. I honestly don't know ANY other route you could take. You can talk to someone at any car audio place and they can help you out, but I honestly don't think you can do anything else really.

svtguy22

Established Member
Pics of what? A pic of the adapter is on the link I posted. Oh and Circuit City and Fry's stock that adpater if any of you need one!!

CobraMac

Established Member
Just to warn you, your sound quality is still going to suck. It's going to be nowhere near as good as with the stock head unit. The system is built to only work well for each other, but good luck!

svtguy22

Established Member
Ok here is an update. MAC you were 100% correct. It sounds like utter and complete ass. So I want to bypass the amps. Can you please breifly explain how you did this. I am pretty familiar with the MACh system after rippin it out of my 96 Cobra. But I would like to know exactly what you did.

Thanks!!

svtguy22

Established Member
Here is what I am thinking. I am going to run new wire from the headunit directly to the speakers. Do I need to buy crossover's for the speakers so I can use the woofer's and tweeters? Is my headunit's power sufficient for this setup?

Oh and does anyone have a wire diagram for the mach 460 system? So I know which wires to splice into.

Thanks!!

gotboost03

gotboost?
Established Member
IF you have experience with stereos it isnt to hard to figure out but if not take it to a shop. I have crossovers in mine but you dont have to. I suggest putting bass blocks on them or you will end up blowing them. New wires are nice but why not use the old ones. Buy a harness and forget cutting on anything.

CobraMac

Established Member
That's a good idea, but there is still the chance that you will have engine feedback or road noise in your speakers if you don't bypass the amps....EVEN if you run new wire. I've heard it before. I will try and type something up for you on how to do the bypass, but it will take a little bit because its a LONG ass process to describe by typing. And if anyone thinks I'm full of crap about the engine noise thing still, look above and see how I was right about the other part....I was a car audio installer for almost 2 years...I know my sh!t lol.

svtguy22

Established Member
hey mac, just a quick question...

When I am running wire to each individual speaker, do I run ALL the wire to the back or just the wire for the rear speakers. In other words, do I hook up ALL the speakers in the back or wire the fronts up in the front.

Thanks!!

CobraMac

Established Member
I would first try hooking up the fronts in the front, if they sound like crap that way, then run the wire all the way to the back by the amps. It's a lot of trial and error sometimes

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
yeah, if your looking for better sound, you need to completely re-do the entire system... Just changing the deck will do nothing. It'll sound the exact same as stock because your running through the stock amps. Just found this out on wednesday....

Users who are viewing this thread