Add Horsepower & Torque, suggestions?

CSVT30

Established Member
Have a used one owner [older guy] Cobra recently purchased, bone stock [one reason I bought it]. Want to increase horsepower & torque. I’m sort of new to 4v engines, my background is 2v, mostly GM [yeah, I know, but one can enjoy both, right?].

It likes to rev and when on cam goes pretty good. Even the Ford shifter seems decent, haven’t missed third yet. Motor is straight, very, very quiet at idle, just exhaust burble, naturally aspirated, all stock.

Not interested in turbo or super charging, don't like the "whine" even though obviously helps in getting more air into the "pumper." Also don't like effects on exhaust note.

Sidebar: There's a number of things I want to do to it, but must start somewhere. Also going to order a Steeda shifter, does it add too much noise, since metal to metal is in play?

Suggestions welcomed . . .

bouncer18

Established Member
there is a little bit more tranny noise with an aftermarket shifter.... i dont think its too terribly bad but thats my ear and not yours..

most guys you see with Cobras start off with Exhaust.. its a great way to boost #'s without breaking the bank..

check around the site.. alot of people have Mod Lists w/ there gains and such...

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
there are more and more options every day...

Now, there are different intakes/cams/throttle body's and a bunch of other stufff for the 4.6 4v.

Ford racing makes a magnesium intake that you can get with injectors/computer and other accessories for 2300 bucks.. ( i know, i know.. its still expensive)
you can get the bare intake for like 1800.

you can also get cams for the 4V, with cam kits starting around 900 bucks. (remember, you've got 3 more cams than that old GM)

throttle bodies, mass air meters, cold air kits/power pipes, Port& polish, the list goes on and on, even without the blower.

I think it would be neat to see a high-compression 4.6 4V all cammed up, making big power without forced induction.

-Homer

CSVT30

Established Member
akatherazor4 , IUP99snake, bouncer18,

bouncer,

Appreciate the feedback, seems a lot of info [threads] re: X, H, and so forth. Also about cat backs.

Some say X pipes too noisy, get raspy at 3,000 RPMs’. Seen some for sale in forums, guys trying to sell them. Makes me twitchy.

Bassani X pipes w’ Steeda cat backs says one, Magnaflow X and Cat-back, says another. Yet another says Magnflow “drones.”

There’s many more suggested in other threads. Going to be real tough, but agree in general 4v, 2v, whatever, need to get rid of stock restriction.

IUP,

Cams, yeah like them, had a lumpy 396 Chevelle at one time, sweet car. Talk to me about mass air kits, cold air kits. Some say Densecharger good deal. What say you guys? IUP you’ve spent all my money on motor stuff :)
Understand your meaning, though.

akatherrazor,

Noticed you went with Pro 5 shifter, any particular reason? Also, isn’t 4.10 noisier than say 3.73? Did you lose some HP & TQ because of 4.10s? I’ve seen it happen in other applications. See you went H vs. X. Why H over X? I thought X would be better because of scavanging at higher RPMs?

Once shifter, pipes, and such is put to bed, must take on chip vs. tuner. Though tuners are more expensive, does allow for more options and easier to reconfig if factory or someone else places back to factory specs because of gov’t regs. Any opinions on chip vs. tuner and manufacturers of same?

Elsewise, you and many others in here do you have your rides juiced. Do appreciate the feedback . . .

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
akatherrazor,

Noticed you went with Pro 5 shifter, any particular reason? Also, isn’t 4.10 noisier than say 3.73? Did you lose some HP & TQ because of 4.10s? I’ve seen it happen in other applications. See you went H vs. X. Why H over X? I thought X would be better because of scavanging at higher RPMs?

Once shifter, pipes, and such is put to bed, must take on chip vs. tuner. Though tuners are more expensive, does allow for more options and easier to reconfig if factory or someone else places back to factory specs because of gov’t regs. Any opinions on chip vs. tuner and manufacturers of same?

Elsewise, you and many others in here do you have your rides juiced. Do appreciate the feedback . .

I went with a Pro 5.0 because I liked the feel of it better. No gear is more nosiy than another if you have a good tech install them. Gears don't decrease horsepower as far as I am concerned. If they do then it would be minimal. I wouldn't be concerned with that. I like an H-pipe's sound way better then the X. It's just preference really. If the X was worth 20 more horsepower I still wouldn't own it.

All chips basically work the same. It is the tuner who will be most important. If you have a good tuner, expect good results. If he's bad, well you know what I mean.

The easiest way to not worry about any of the minor stuff is to just get a supercharger. You will have more power than you ever dreamed of. If you want to learn more about my ride then just click the link to my website below.

My Webiste

Razor.:beer:

Last edited:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I too think supercharging is the only way to go and if you don't like the noise you should look in to Vortech's SQ Trim (SuperQuiet) supercharger. If that is not an option you could always think about Nitrous. If naturally aspirated is your goal I think the coolest and biggest improvement would be to go stroker with a 10.5:1 or better compression ratio. Kits such as these are available at Mod Max, SHM and others. To start with a shifter, CIA, exhaust, dyno tune, suspension work (IRS), and some bigger wheels and tires are probably all on your list, or should be. My best suggestion is to SEARCH. There is an incredible amount of information here and on other mustang sites about the 4.6L DOHC Cobras. Any question you have 95% of the time has already been covered to death in another thread. But if you come up with something specific that you cant find an answer to (not just the answer you want to hear) feel free to ask, we will be more than happy to toss in our 2 cents. Good luck.

Cheers,

Kyle

Tom01Snake

Established Member
WERD!!! :beer:

Originally posted by akatherazor4
I like an H-pipe's sound way better then the X. It's just preference really. If the X was worth 20 more horsepower I still wouldn't own it.

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
I agree with starting with exhaust first! Then shifter, gears, CAI.....Oh wait thats exactly what I've done!:) I would have more but funds aren't as permitting as they used to be...

Glad to see come over from the Darkside (Chevy) hehe I think you've come to the right place for suggestions too, these guys on here know their stuff! And when you read through their sigs at some of the power some of em are putting down (IUP99snake,akatherazor4,NosCobra2001) Just to name a few really give us near stock guys some good ideas as to what works and what combos yield results....Anyway! Nice to have you aboard!

Tom,

I noticed you are in Atlanta as well what part?

Adam:coolman:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
how come noone mentioned nitrous.....it's the best bang for the buck, and i think he just said he didn't want a turbo or supercharger.....you can get 100-150 wheel hp and even more torque, plus you don't have to use it all the time, saving your gas mileage......

CSVT30

Established Member
One of many "thank yous" to come . . .

adam01,

Seems to be consensus re: pipes, will begin with those, then move onward step at a time. Just don’t want to plunge 14K in it as did akatherazor4. Is damn easy to do [sinkhole the money], been there before. Buy, hey, that’s what’s it’s all about, do what one pleases, right? Besides, as long as he’s happy with the outcome, that’s what counts. I call it “performance mod creep.” I’ve done it several times. One added goody almost demands adding yet another, which leads to yet more, when you add it up, you think, “Damn, spent that much already?!” Super nice ride you have there, by the way akatherazor4.

akatherazor4,

Appreciate feedback re: Pro 5 shifter. Seems you stirred some commentary re: H vs. X. Since I’m starting there [pipes], I really need to get my hands around X vs. H. So far no one has talked to me about my previous post re: X being too noisy, and the raspy sounds at 3,000 RPMs. Anyone want to land on this and give me some additional insight? Are the noises attributed to X pipes O/R use? Or is there a question of mufflers in there somewhere? Not always sure when I read complaints about X pipes what the application is.

snakeeyes,

Someone in another forum talked about Vortechs SQ Trim S/C also. May be worth a look later on down the pike, if “whine” is really minimized. I know, I know, I’m a bit weird about the whine stuff, just flat don’t like it.

quick01snake,

Funny you mentioned nitrous. I might contemplate it. Since, as you said, you only use it when you use it. I’ve had a turbo charged before, so know something of that. Though understand nitrous concepts, would have to study up some.

Small world s***, I used to live in Norcross, traveled NASCAR 285 on many occasions. You guys in Atlanta know what I mean.

FWIWD, this and mustangworks are good sites. There’s one I won’t mention, where I got more grief than answers. Some of the posts were crude, as well as annoying. Anyway, just my way of saying thanks.

As far as look up sigs, and so forth, whoever said that is right. However, it was easier for me to post what I did to get some commonality in one thread. Lazy? Yeah, perhaps just a little, but still . . .

So talk to me about pipes, good, bad manufacturers, flappers, cat backs, whatever. Want to by one set up only.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Well everyone knows I don't care for the sound that the X gives out. What I suggest is tracking down a cobra with an X pipe and listening to it. I'm sure your local tuner (Mustang shop) could accomodate this, Especially if you plan to buy from them. After that, listen to an H-pipe equipped Cobra. The only thing that matters is what you prefer on your car.;-) Oh and buy a shifter first! No need in bending the shift forks on your tranny with the POS stock one.

GreyAsp

Established Member
Originally posted by CSVT30
Appreciate feedback re: Pro 5 shifter. Seems you stirred some commentary re: H vs. X. Since I’m starting there [pipes], I really need to get my hands around X vs. H. So far no one has talked to me about my previous post re: X being too noisy, and the raspy sounds at 3,000 RPMs. Anyone want to land on this and give me some additional insight? Are the noises attributed to X pipes O/R use? Or is there a question of mufflers in there somewhere? Not always sure when I read complaints about X pipes what the application is.

(bump)

I'd also be interested in X-vs-H opinions. Aside from sound quality (which is subjective) and what seems like a slight HP advantage with the X, what are advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread