Add to MyColor system

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Has anyone tried (or better yet succeeded) in adding some extra lights to the MyColor system? Specifically, my wife wants the interior lighting like the Shelby in the Need for Speed movie....the blue ambient light on the dash and door panels. I read in a few places that people thought it was "El Wire" but then those who tried it said the El Wire wasn't bright enough.

Thoughts?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I like the colors the factory gives, i switch them around plenty, and i gotta say the purple is my favorite!

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
it can be done...

the ford lights are "common cathode" RGB lights. Whatever you tie into, would have to also be common cathode LED.

You might even need an RGB Amplifier depending on what you are adding. Your source could come directly from the RGB Controller or taken from anywhere that is fed the RED GREEN BLUE and Black (negative) wire. Such as the cup holder lights, the door pocket lights, the door sill (where it says mustang or svt or roush), or the foot wells.

I know this only because I installed the factory LED ambient lighting into my car...

the only problem is, depending on what you're doing, you might draw too much from the current LED to feed the new LED's that it could make it more dim than the rest, but if you can pull from the LED controller you might not have any problem at all.

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
it can be done...

the ford lights are "common cathode" RGB lights. Whatever you tie into, would have to also be common cathode LED.

You might even need an RGB Amplifier depending on what you are adding. Your source could come directly from the RGB Controller or taken from anywhere that is fed the RED GREEN BLUE and Black (negative) wire. Such as the cup holder lights, the door pocket lights, the door sill (where it says mustang or svt or roush), or the foot wells.

I know this only because I installed the factory LED ambient lighting into my car...

the only problem is, depending on what you're doing, you might draw too much from the current LED to feed the new LED's that it could make it more dim than the rest, but if you can pull from the LED controller you might not have any problem at all.

That is exactly what I wanted to know. I want to add a 36 inch strip on both front doors, and a 58 inch strip on the dash.
If you look at this thread: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...c-lounge/716041-need-speed-mustang-movie.html You will see the pictures from the car in Need for Speed. It's the dash and doors like they did.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
I read in a few places that people thought it was "El Wire" but then those who tried it said the El Wire wasn't bright enough.

I know you're set on LED, however they used El Wire and enhanced it in post process. The same thing with the tron movie, people had the same issue with the dim wire when making the suits. It turns out disney used BA post processing to enhance the dim light.

Keep in mind that bright of a light in your vision will mess with your vision at night and create more eye fatigue. You might want to consider an on/ off switch for the added LEDs.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I know you're set on LED, however they used El Wire and enhanced it in post process. The same thing with the tron movie, people had the same issue with the dim wire when making the suits. It turns out disney used BA post processing to enhance the dim light.

Keep in mind that bright of a light in your vision will mess with your vision at night and create more eye fatigue. You might want to consider an on/ off switch for the added LEDs.

Actually these are the very type of comments I'm looking for. I'm not set on anything, as a matter of fact I ordered some El Wire because it's cheap as hell and if it sucks it isn't going to bother me to chuck it in the can. The LED is more or less what I thought it was, however I'm not set on anything. I don't want it super bright, just a low glow. I'd love to wire it the same way as the dash dimmer so I could adjust the level based on conditions. But at the same time, I realize it's not easy to add anything to a system that already runs through so many hoops. The only downfall I see to El Wire is that it is one color, and one color only. If you change your mind (or in some folks cases, mood) you can't change it like the mycolor. I was pondering if it could be wired up together so that if you changed the color from the mycolor display that the added lights would also change. It may be just to much complication, I threw it out there hoping maybe someone had already forged a path.

mackdog2008

Established Member
Actually these are the very type of comments I'm looking for. I'm not set on anything, as a matter of fact I ordered some El Wire because it's cheap as hell and if it sucks it isn't going to bother me to chuck it in the can. The LED is more or less what I thought it was, however I'm not set on anything. I don't want it super bright, just a low glow. I'd love to wire it the same way as the dash dimmer so I could adjust the level based on conditions. But at the same time, I realize it's not easy to add anything to a system that already runs through so many hoops. The only downfall I see to El Wire is that it is one color, and one color only. If you change your mind (or in some folks cases, mood) you can't change it like the mycolor. I was pondering if it could be wired up together so that if you changed the color from the mycolor display that the added lights would also change. It may be just to much complication, I threw it out there hoping maybe someone had already forged a path.
I'm interested to know this also, I would like to wire up led lights to my autometer gauges thay will change color with the my color.

Hopefully someone can help answer your question, interested to see if it can be done.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Well I had ordered the needed lengths of "El Wire" to try and get just blue. What a bunch of cheap crap. I ordered two 3 footers and a 6 footer.....the first 3 footer didn't work.....the second 3 footer had a short, and the 6 foot one was broken in the bag. I got refunded for the purchase and tossed them in the garbage. I would avoid that crap at all costs. Looks like it's back to the drawing board

Users who are viewing this thread