Adding a L blower to a regular 5.4?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
Alright guys, I have a question. It might have been asked before, I searched, but found nothing. So here goes!

I have a '01 F150 supercrew. It is well on its way to needing a freshen, and I am serously considering building the bottom end for boost, and tossing on a L eaton, KB, or whipple. No one makes a positive displacement blower for my truck, and a centrifical blower on a lifted 4wd truck that pulls trailers is useless (in my opinion:)) So, what all would I need to physically fit the blower on the truck? I know the front pulley plate, Lower intake manifold, intercooler, and lower pulley, but what else am I forgetting?

I would love to find a complete engine and computer (Would the computer be a plug and play deal? As in it would plug into my current wiring harness with no additional mods needed?) but that gets pricey quick, and I already have a good crank and block, no sense in buying another.

Thanks!

Last edited:

1990stanggt

Established Member
I can't help you much with the specifics, but saw a regular 2wd F-150 with a lightning blower at the track a few months ago. It ran a 12.5 in the eighth with only a lightning supercharger on it. He acted like it was the stock engine....I say go for it!

Last edited:

03InThe11s

Established Member
Yea, thats what I'm thinking. I don't care to turn it into a drag truck, but it would help if it could get out of its own way. I'm thinking pullied Lighting type power. Not much more. If it ran low 14's in the 1/4, I would be more than happy. And low 14's from a 4 door truck on 36" tires would shock a few. I want to keep it dependable, capable of pulling my coupe on an open trailer, and thats about it.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Z7What (I think that's his name) on here has a lifted 4x4 truck with a Eaton Blower (Lightning) on it. He hasn't had any issues with it other than I think something lately (he didn't build his engine for boost, though, still the stock motor. If you build the motor, you wouldn't need a computer or anything. Just get a hand held tuner (SCT or Diablo, whichever your tuner prefers...if you are near Orlando I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend VMP Tuning) and your tuner will be able to make all the adjustments necessary to have the blower on the truck. That means you wouldn't need a wiring harness or computer to run a PD blower. Hope this info helps!

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
OK im here, you can bolt the L blower to your truck no problem. My 03 supercrew lifted on 38's laided down 317RWHP and 402RWTQ and ran a best of 14.56 and i think there was a little more in it.

Fell free to PM me any question. Your new best friend will be Mike Dunn @ Madenterprise.com he helps almost EVERYBODY that does the L blower swap get parts and info. I have a alot of part numbers for things needed. Just start by getting everything from the lower manifold on up.

Wayne

03InThe11s

Established Member
OK im here, you can bolt the L blower to your truck no problem. My 03 supercrew lifted on 38's laided down 317RWHP and 402RWTQ and ran a best of 14.56 and i think there was a little more in it.

Fell free to PM me any question. Your new best friend will be Mike Dunn @ Madenterprise.com he helps almost EVERYBODY that does the L blower swap get parts and info. I have a alot of part numbers for things needed. Just start by getting everything from the lower manifold on up.

Wayne

Thanks man! Thats what I'm looking for. I'm going to build the motor, so I plan on running a hair more than factory boost. I just wanted to make sure there weren't many differences. I figured it was a simple deal, but you never know.

Good looking truck btw. How did you fit 38"s? I barely fit 36" IROKS (on 20x10" wheels) with the biggest lift kit I could find (Fabtech 6"), and that was with some trimming. Ohh, here is a pic of mine;
745342028_l-2.jpg

Last edited:

Z7What