adjustable cable vs oem

five 0 ninja

Established Member
I did a search and know there is a lot of threads about this with most saying go with oem. However I wanted to know how the cables are physicaly different? And why I would even need an adjustable if I have a firewall adjuster? Having some issues with the pedal feel. Its not totally smooth has a little roughness to it when you push it in slowly. Almost like a notchy feeling. When car is not running it feels fine. But when it's running you feel it and the higher the rpms and slower you push the clutch pedal in the more you feel it.

Called spec as I just put the spec 2+ in a couple months ago and have about 2500 miles on it. Everything else feels fine. Tech guy told me definitely sounds like a cable issue. I am using fiore fwa, and quadrant but kept the stock cable as car only had 10k miles. Thinking of ordering oem cable from ford. But the tech guy said get an adjustable one. Told him heard bad things about them and to use oem and he said don't believe the internet. lol He also told me the throw out bearings are designed to rest on pressure plate slightly and spin all the time which is opposite of everything I read here. So any input on these cables would be great. Thanks.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I run and adjustable cable. Go ahead and flame away guys!

Mine is from promotion powertrain. Now whether it's better then other brands or made dif I'm not sure. I have no issues with mine. It works very well. Adjustable cables are nice because you can take up the slack at the fork and not have the FW adjuster screwed out over an inch.

To each their own. It's all in what your trying to accomplish.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
there is alot of reading material out there that shows the physical differences between the two, and how they are manufactured. cutaway's etc.

i always took it with a grain of salt until last year when i tried a mm adjustable cable. before that i had always run a ford oem. anyway, it only lasted about two months. total pos. the housing "bent" right at the firewall adjuster area. put another stock one in and have had no problems since.

five 0 ninja

Established Member
Thanks for info everyone. Doesn't ford make an adjustable cable for these cars? Now that I think of it I put an adjustable cable in my old fox body years ago and never had an issue but I'm pretty sure it was from ford racing.

perry2k12

Established Member
Maximum Motorsports sells an OEM cable that is modified to be used with a firewall adjuster. I broke whatever cable my car came with and run the modded one from MM now and no problems at all. More than enough adjustment with triple hook quadrant and a firewall adjuster.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread