Adjustable clutch quadrant installed

Black Cobra

Established Member
Installed an adjustable clutch quadrant today.

The first adjustment had the clutch grabbing at the top of the pedal similar to my '98. The shifter was slipping into every gear very smoothly. However, I didn't like where the pedal was grabbing so I gave the firewall adjuster a few turns and now it's grabbing somewhere near the middle. Shifting is still very smooth. Tomorrow I'll have to test it out with some maximum acceleration runs.

Adjustable clutch quadrant install - photos and notes.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I had the Steeda Adjustable Clutch Quadrant on my 95 Cobra. It worked fine and being able to adjust where the clutch grabbed which was nice combo with the king cobra clutch kit.

I had one major problem and you should resolve this ASAP.

How your picture shows the clutch quadrant is exactly how I had mine installed. The problem is the quadrant moves freely on that pin and what happens is it will not stay in alignment with the clutch cable and thus the cable will wear against the sides of the groove on the quadrant. About 3 years after I installed it at first my clutch started acting up and would not completely disengage after the transmission was hot. So I readjusted the cable, but never took a look at the quadrant. Then about a month later I was working a really late night and didn't leave my customers location until about 2:00 am and was extremely luckily that the streets were empty. I was at a stoplight with the car in 1st and the clutch disengaged and all of a sudden the clutch engaged and the car took off. My first reaction was too slammed on the brake and stalled the car out and didn't know what happened. I quickly realized the clutch was gone. So I started the car in 1st and drove it to the nearest parking lot to see what happened. After stopping the car I got out to take a look at the quadrant first and found part of the cable that had snapped of in the foot well. Since it was really late and I was not about to leave my car in downtown Fort Lauderdale overnight I had to drive home 20 miles with no clutch, I think every light was red the whole way home so needless to say I was not in a good mood by that time. After talking the quadrant out I realized that it had been wearing against the cable for some time and the cable finally just snapped. This could have had disastrous consequences and I was extremely lucky it happened when it did I highly suggest you resolve this before you are possibly not so lucky.

The other problem I had was that inside of the car wear the cable hooks onto the quadrant I had it come undone if I let go of the clutch to fast. I resolved this by zip tie’d the cable to the quadrant so that it was firmly attached to the quadrant independent of the pressure from the clutch.

I think I might still have my old quadrant lying around and will try to find it so I can take a picture to show you what happened exactly. I urge you to resolve this before anything happens.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by ArizonaSnake
What does one of these adjustable quadrants run?

The Double Hook Quadrant alone is 45.00 at Steeda and we also receive 10% off because we are svtoa members. The Double Hook Quadrant, Firewall Adjuster, and Adjustable cable is 114.95.

Black Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I had one major problem and you should resolve this ASAP.

How your picture shows the clutch quadrant is exactly how I had mine installed. The problem is the quadrant moves freely on that pin and what happens is it will not stay in alignment with the clutch cable and thus the cable will wear against the sides of the groove on the quadrant... I urge you to resolve this before anything happens.

Yea, I noticed that after I put it on there. I thought there should have been some bushings included. I'll see if I can find something. Maybe some thin metal washers on the outsides and thicker plastic bushings between the metal washers and the quadrant. The thing will be getting the measurements right.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I would think if this a repetitive problem then it is a design issue. Ought to get with Steeda and get them to fix it.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
i am sorry but what is SVTOA and how do i become a member??
thnaks

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by ArizonaSnake
I would think if this a repetitive problem then it is a design issue. Ought to get with Steeda and get them to fix it.

I am guessing you have never talked with Steeda. There is a reason I don't want anything to do with them anymore. They think and talk as if they are god and anybody who tells them differently is wrong. It is actually quite funny to watch, if you say you are going to use somebody else’s solution for something they get piss’d and start talking smack about that company or person immediately.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by jmir018
i am sorry but what is SVTOA and how do i become a member??
thnaks

Special Vehicle Team Owners Association (SVTOA) is an organization sponsered by Ford SVT that promotes activities with ford vehicles, especially SVT models. When you buy a new SVT you receive 1 year free membership and to renew costs $40 per year if you own an SVT or $55 per year if you own a different Ford vehicle.

Take a look at this site.
http://www.svtoa.com/

Here are the discounts for SVTOA members.
http://www.svtoa.com/sponsors.asp

Black Cobra

Established Member
I had a chance to get in a couple of maximum acceleration runs
last night. In the past I have had problems shifting at high rpms. I have missed the 1 to 2 and the 2 to 3 shift. With the new clutch pedal setup, smooth and clean shifting all the way to 6300 rpms. The shifter slips right into gear everytime.

I was able to break traction shifting to both 2nd and 3rd so the clutch should be fully engaging the flywheel. I like the current setup and I think it's time to get this beast to the track.

ubenbit

Established Member
granatelli motorsport quadrant/adjustable clutch cable installation complete. i have to admit that this was a much needed upgrade. i had to install some nylon spacers on the quadrant shafts to remove the freeplay that was present, i also ran into slight difficulty making my adjustments at the clutch fork, as those who have been there know that it is impossible to get a deep socket in there to tighten down the jamb nut (had to use a pair of baby vise grips for this), i will modify the clutch fork slightly whenever it's time for an adjustment so that i can make future adjustments much easier. the install looks factory and works great. if anyone has any questions about a quadrant/cable or firewall adjuster install, let me know and i will be happy to share my experiences in this area with you.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Off subject, my bad

10% off because we are svtoa

How easy is this to do? I just signed up now with svtoa, what can I say I'm lazy. They said I'll recieve a package in 3 to 4 week with my info.:shrug: You can just tell the sponsors that you are a member and they'll give to a discount?:beer:

ubenbit

Established Member
Lomancobra
I sent you an e-mail regarding alternative(s) to Steeda's quadrant. I should have posted this as a reply for all others considering this mod to see (my bad guys). Lomancobra would you assist me in correcting this error by posting that e-mail when you get it? Thanks

03'Darin

Established Member
Re: Off subject, my bad

Originally posted by brad65ford
How easy is this to do? I just signed up now with svtoa, what can I say I'm lazy. They said I'll recieve a package in 3 to 4 week with my info.:shrug: You can just tell the sponsors that you are a member and they'll give to a discount?:beer:

Your first year of SVTOA is free when you buy a new SVT product. You automatically get signed up when the dealer reports your sale to Ford. It usually takes 2-3 months from the date of your purchase until you get the SVTOA packet. I would suggest that if you payed for your membership......contact SVT @ 1-800-FORDSVT and let them know about your situation. They can direct you on what to do....most likely SVTOA will apply that money to your 2nd year membership if you are intersted in staying in.

BTW does the new quadrant remove any of the stiffness from the clutch?:shrug:

Last edited:

bender460

Established Member
I used the same Steeda set up but went with the quick ratio quadrant. It woks great and is my best mod per dallar spent. A pulley isn't going to help much if you can't shift! lol

Users who are viewing this thread