Adjustable shock question

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
So will be replacing my shocks on my 08, 36,000 miles. May not really have to but with the mileage and planning on lowering figure why not now. Anyway looking at adjustable shocks because would like to have the performance but also better ride. The wife has plates and pins in her back so cannot really handle a rough ride. Question being how hard is it to adjust them? Is it something that can be done easily or does thing have to be removed to to so. The reason is wanting to have a good ride when going to a car show or jaunt and then having a solid ride while at the show. Any help appreciated.

MastaAce03

Established Member
The KONI adjustable are just a turn of a dial. The dial comes off after adjusting and just stored somewhere in the car. Very easy.

The ride will depend a lot on the springs you’re using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MastaAce03

Established Member
Was looking at the Ford Racing M5300-l springs as I do not want to lower it all that much and they state it only lowers it about 1 1/4".

I think those would be the way to go. Might as well get lower control arms and pan hard bar while you’re at it.

MastaAce03

Established Member
Another one people seem to like are the Tokico D specs and the Bilstein HD.

fmylife

Established Member
Not sure about your budget but have you ever considered air ride?

I've got Bilstein non-adjustables with FRPP springs (lowered about 1 1/4") and the ride can be really rough sometimes, mainly because our roads are so shitty. A friend of mine with a '10 GT500 installed an air ride kit and the ride is so much better and still handles great so I've been considering going that route even though it's a bit expensive.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Cant go wrong with Viking Warriors. They are a little pricey, but they have extremely easy to adjust ride settings. They are also rebuildable by Viking.

Ive got the Warriors and Viking #150 drag springs. To get them back to factory ride height, I used Billet Pro Shop adjustable rear spring perches.

For street driving Im set at 0 compression 2 rebound on the shocks. Made my performance pack front strut equipped car much less jarring on the street. Actually felt better balanced. With standard GT500 front struts, it will probably be very comfortable.

kodiakmustang

Established Member
If you're wanting to lower just a bit, look at H&R springs too. They lowered mine 1". Catmonkey helped me a lot in my search for which springs and shocks.

It was suggested I go with Koni Sports that are adjustable, but I just didn't see the need for adj shocks since I don't track. So far I'm satisfied with Koni STR (orange) shocks.

barspen

Established Member
It was suggested I go with Koni Sports that are adjustable, but I just didn't see the need for adj shocks since I don't track. So far I'm satisfied with Koni STR (orange) shocks.

This statement is key. I didn't see any reason in the OP's first post why you would want to go with adjustable. Just because they are adjustable, it does not automatically make them 'better' or give a more 'performant' feel. If you road course and drive on the street, the adjustable is a great options. But if you want a softer, compliant drive, I wouldn't spend the extra cash. You have to be ripping some pretty high G turns (preferably on a prepped track) to feel a positive difference with stiff settings on stocks/struts. Otherwise, the firmness on the street is just annoying.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
If you're wanting to lower just a bit, look at H&R springs too. They lowered mine 1". Catmonkey helped me a lot in my search for which springs and shocks.

Mike
How is the ride with the H&R springs? As I said Sharon has back issues and can take bouncing around. Is it that much worse then stock? It looks that it is more the spring then shocks that affects the ride.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
H&R Sport springs are a great option for lowering while providing a good balance between comfort and performance. The springs are not harsh, but travel is obviously decreased with 1" lowering springs by design. I recently installed Bilstein HD struts and shocks, and coupled with my H&R Sport springs, they offer a controlled and dampened ride that performs much better than the OEM suspension setup. I originally wanted to go with adjustable struts and shocks because I am picky about ride quality, but I am very pleased with my current setup and have no regrets going with the non-adjustable Bilsteins.

kodiakmustang

Established Member
Mike
How is the ride with the H&R springs? As I said Sharon has back issues and can take bouncing around. Is it that much worse then stock? It looks that it is more the spring then shocks that affects the ride.

Sorry for the delayed reply Clay. For some reason I didn't get an email notification about this activity on a subscribed thread. I agree with SCGallo2, the ride to me has very little difference from the stock ride. I guess it's a little firmer, but not very much. My back isn't as bad as Sharon's, but mine is bad enough to require injections periodically. If the car was banging me too hard I'd have to change the setup. If you have more questions, send me a PM once you get back on here.

Users who are viewing this thread