Advice about my disappearing fender liner.

racer

Established Member
The tracks that we drive (you and i) the landscape is different. Most of the tracks that i have seen have mostly grass. Here in socal (willow springs and buttonwillow) the landscape is dirt and rocks (sometimes the size of a small kids fist). Sometimes between sessions the course workers have to sweep the rocks off of the racing surface. I guess if you drove on the tracks around here or else you would know. I have several friends that did remove then and ended up with dents from the underside of the fenders (older fox body's). When cars do go off track here they kick-up alot of rocks. Why do you think so many cars here use so much blue tape, it's not to keep off flying rubber it's to protect them from flying rocks. Several friends of mine have gotten broken windshields when cars go off or when guys cut the corners.

Running without fender liners is not a problem if the landscape is grass. Who really cars if the inside of the fender get wet.

When I got the front fenders, Paul from Tiger Racing gave me some 1/8 thick cork sheet material to glue on the under side of the fenders. He said it would take car of the rock issues. I will finally install it now that the car is pulled apart. Looks like it work pretty well.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
just do coilovers and raise it

trust, you won't regret the coilovers, they even ride better imo!

Trust me, I regret having to put another set of springs in the stock perches.
But I just can't swing the $$$ coilovers right now. I'm lucky a friend has some Cobra R springs he'll let me use/have.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Greg, I was out this weekend driving the R all over the place. I think you're going to like the way the car will feel. There are no spring isolators on the R, so I would recomend you not install them. I get no squeeking or crazy noises. I think the car will sit to high with the isos.

Maynor

Established Member
Greg,

What did you end up doing? Having just gone coil over, on my test drive, i've already completely worn through the liner on the drivers side in 4 places.

I took it out, duct taped up the holes and wire tied up the wiring harness as tight and out of the way as I could. I am at approximately the same ride height as before coil-over and didnt' realize that even at slow street speeds, the extra camber I dialed in would wear through like it did.

John

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
This turn was on H&R race springs and revalved Bils. I also cut my ABS line during this turn as it was just before I locked up a tire and went off course.

It really depends on the tire, but if you are running something in the 50 and under treadwear range, you really need to have coil overs and raise things up a bit. H&R race springs are WAY too wimpy for a car this heavy. Just my opinion..

800LDIG.gif

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
John, the change to Cobra R springs (and not running Shenandoah as much) solved my problems.
But you should get some folks with coil-overs to chime in on setups that work while reducing the wear. But I think some is inevitable.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
This turn was on H&R race springs and revalved Bils. I also cut my ABS line during this turn as it was just before I locked up a tire and went off course.

It really depends on the tire, but if you are running something in the 50 and under treadwear range, you really need to have coil overs and raise things up a bit. H&R race springs are WAY too wimpy for a car this heavy. Just my opinion..

800LDIG.gif

So are Eibach Progressives

Maynor

Established Member
Thanks much. I'm at the Glen now and it appears cinching up the wiring harness helped as well as some clearencing of the fender liner helped. The fender liner wear has stopped but part of it could be the Glen. There really are no hard sharp corners. Just lots of long, fast sweepers everywhere so that might be a factor.

Now, if only my power steering rack didn't let go.. I could do both days in the same car. Anyone got an 03 rack handy per chance?

John

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Sorry to hear that, John. Hope its not too much of a pain to correct.
And I agree. I think some of the blame for liner rubbing can be blamed on certain tracks.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Thanks much. I'm at the Glen now and it appears cinching up the wiring harness helped as well as some clearencing of the fender liner helped. The fender liner wear has stopped but part of it could be the Glen. There really are no hard sharp corners. Just lots of long, fast sweepers everywhere so that might be a factor.

Now, if only my power steering rack didn't let go.. I could do both days in the same car. Anyone got an 03 rack handy per chance?

John

there is no question the individual track is a definite factor. I had NO problems with mine until I started autocrossing. hard tight turns cause the body to roll more and the tire come up tighter against the fender liner. summit point in WV is an example of a track that would contribute to the problem. they have a couple of corners where you drive deep and cut hard as I recall.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
there is no question the individual track is a definite factor. I had NO problems with mine until I started autocrossing. hard tight turns cause the body to roll more and the tire come up tighter against the fender liner. summit point in WV is an example of a track that would contribute to the problem. they have a couple of corners where you drive deep and cut hard as I recall.

Yes, the Shenandoah circuit at SP has not been kind to my fender liners. But Summit Point main has faster, wider turns, and the only harm that came there last weekend was from doing this...

SP1.jpg

Photo courtesy TravisTrussell

Maynor

Established Member
NJMP next month is my next event so I'll see how the fender liner issue comes into play there.

I can already tell that with the 3/4" longer wheelbase and 18" 35 series tires, the front passenger tire is grinding into the MAF mounted right in front of the passenger side tire on left hand turns, going into a driveway for instance.

That is a more immediate problem for obvious reasons and due to the intercooler plumbing, not a simple fix. Argh. Its always the little issues that take the most time.

Greg, on another note, that is a damn nice picture. Whoever took it has a pretty impressive camera!

On one last track "bling" observation.. I don't think I've seen a drop shadow car number before. Pretty nice #90 sign there! :)

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
So Greg.....assuming the rub issue is squared away, does the car graduate to "Stage V"

:) You Kooky mid Atlantic guys with all your "stages" and "Full Griggs" speak...

///m3

Established Member
Is there any particular reason no one has suggested the use of a stiffer anti-roll bar instead of/in conjunction with stiffer springs? I have this same problem with my H&R springs and it seemed to help when I upgraded my deteriorating anti-roll bar bushings with poly ones, but the problem is still there. My thought was to try the Eibach anti-roll bars...

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Is there any particular reason no one has suggested the use of a stiffer anti-roll bar instead of/in conjunction with stiffer springs? I have this same problem with my H&R springs and it seemed to help when I upgraded my deteriorating anti-roll bar bushings with poly ones, but the problem is still there. My thought was to try the Eibach anti-roll bars...

The stiffer bar will make the car plow even more. Stiffer springs would be a better solution generally speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread