Advice about rods after melting pistons

RainyP71

Established Member
So I picked up a low mile cobra engine that was rebuilt with the cheapest Taiwan special pistons I've ever seen. It had melted 2 pistons and blew a small hole through both of them. When the piston blew through, it deposited a small amount of melted piston on 2 of the rods as you can see in the photos I've attached. Are these rods salvageable? I don't see any discoloration from heat. I'm assuming I could take a brass wire wheel to these gently and it would take the deposits right off, then just have a shop rebush and check them.

Also, the motor had a mismatched set of manley rods. 6 stock cobra rods, and 2 manley H-beams that look basically identical. I got the short block so cheap that even if I NEEDED 2 new stock replacement cobra rods, I'd still be in the black.

Basically would this set be safe to run of okayed by a machine shop? Any advice? Thanks!
d5b7926d0804306b0c257a7045ddfc6c.jpg
09c40013d464dbf54d9bdc9fbd8c0b57.jpg
a23320595159a610823a684c553e79a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RainyP71

Established Member
Looks like you have yourself a pile of junk.

Nee rods are cheap. Id start everything from new.
I'm working a budget, I'd prefer to not buy a set of rods if I don't absolutely have to.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
do you honestly trust anything else in that motor after seeing what happened to those pistons?

Quick Strike

Established Member
I would take them to the machine shop and have them evaluate with the rest of your engine. Then you can decide the degree they are salvageable or if an entire a new set is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
What car is this going in? I see crown vic in your sig.....is it supercharged? If so, what blower are you running and how much boost/HP range are you looking to run?

I agree with others those pics don't look good...but what application level you are looking to achieve will matter when deciding what is bare minimum for a budget build

Users who are viewing this thread