Advice from the 5.0wners

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Cheesy thread titles aside...

I am contemplating trading my car in on a new base GT coupe. The dealer has one in that's exactly what I want. Red candy metallic over charcoal black interior, only options Security pkg and 3.73 (EXACTLY what I wanted) and finally the 3.73 option with NO 19"ers (they're ugly imo). Test drove a different car, however, still had 3.73 option and it felt great. Clutch was light and I feel like I could definitely daily drive it much easier than the Z. More room, backseat, etc. Essentially the Mustang has equal gas mileage, 100 more horses, etc, etc, etc.

What I really want is your opinions. Because to be honest I value this Ford forum over many many many others.

Thanks.

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
I should be able to swing by soon and talk numbers and see how far the trade-in can get me but if they "lowball" me I'll try to sell it outright. The beauty of a trade-in is you don't have to go through the hassle of waiting for a buyer...

Last edited:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
I dont own one, but Ive test drove a few, and to date its one of my favorite stock cars Ive driven! Trans shifts like butter, gets up pretty good, brakes good, and has more than enough room. I could see DD'in one very easily. GL with your choice man.

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
I dont own one, but Ive test drove a few, and to date its one of my favorite stock cars Ive driven! Trans shifts like butter, gets up pretty good, brakes good, and has more than enough room. I could see DD'in one very easily. GL with your choice man.

I completely agree... just better overall car than the Z in my opinion. The only bad thing about my test drive was I couldn't find traction control! :burnout:

Thanks

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
I completely agree... just better overall car than the Z in my opinion. The only bad thing about my test drive was I couldn't find traction control! :burnout:

Thanks

:lol: Thats the 1st thing I did when I started the car up was find TC and turn it off!

rexisme

Established Member
I test drove a 370z before I even got my hands on the 2011 5.0. It was one of the cars I was considering at the time. Well, make a long story short, a 5.0 is in the driveway.

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
LOVE LOVE my 5.0 and I also have the 3.73's in it

Definitely sale the Z, a buddy at work has a 370z too, he's super jealous of my 5.0 :)

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Well when it all came down to it I decided not to follow through and just keep the 370z. But I'm going to tell you why.

Simply put the new 5.0 was NOT worth the $4k-$5k difference ON TOP of trading in the 370z. Yeah, the 5.0's ride quality was better, clutch was VERY light (almost too light) and it drove just like I expected... which was not very sporty. To put it in perspective the Challenger SRT8 had a sportier feel.

Now comparing it to the Z is like apples and oranges. The Z is a sportscar so the rides a bit rougher, but it handles better, and feels far more sporty, not to mention it just felt right. There was just something about the smooth leather steering wheel and the attractive interior and exterior (in my opinion) that I didn't want to lose with the trade-in. Yes, this was a base GT and the premium interior is much nicer but I'm not willing to spend even more on top of the Z just to get an interior that still (in my mind) wasn't as good as the base 370z.

Overall the 5.0 had more torque, was a faster car, would be much easier to daily drive in, looked pretty good, and drove well, not to mention great visibility over the Z. But the feeling just wasn't right and that's the only thing to turned me away. Although, I do plan on picking up one down the road used or possibly checking out the Boss 302 :coolman:

EDIT: I neglected to mention something else. Now granted the 5.0 had traction control on, wasn't broken in, etc, etc... but I floored it a couple times at different RPM's and maybe the engine was just too smooth but it felt like the 5.0 was missing a RAW feeling. Oh it was definitely faster than the Z, I'm not trying to say it wasn't... the Z just has a rawer feel to it -- and that's because in the higher rpms the VQ37 (3.7L) is pretty harsh. If I was trying to describe the power and ride quality of the 5.0 I'd say Ford has joined the ranks of BMW in vehicle quality!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread