Advice from those whom have served.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
My son will complete his education this weekend at YCP.
http://www.langycp.com/
Basically he was acting out, skipping class, not caring about doing any school work, stealing our cars, leaving at any and all hours, etc. He was offered the opportunity to complete his education through this program. Since he has obtained his GED and taken the ASVAB he is thinking of signing National Guard or Army. He has every recruiter at this point calling the house, but since he is still in this program, our contact with him is limited to a 10 minute phone call on Sundays. He does seem to be much more goal oriented, so the program has been a success. I would like him to join some form of defense program and continue his growth. Where should I steer him? If he goes National Guard he can go in as an private first class due to the training he has already received, supposedly.

Last edited:

blksnke2

Established Member
Regardless of what branch or component he joins, basic training usually helps straighten people out by teaching core values, discipline, teamwork, respect, etc. In the Army National Guard (dual federal and state mission, funded by the state), he would get to complete his drill weekends at the closest post to home and receive top notch benefits (health care, education, etc.), but would also have to do some kind of civilian work the other 28 days of the month to make money. If he enlisted into the Active Duty (federal mission, full time) component of the Army, he would have a steady paying full-time job with all the great benefits military members earn, but the Army gets to tell him where he lives. There are bases, posts, and forts all over the world. Military members earn a pay raise every 2 years and with every rank promotion, regardless of branch/component. Keep in mind there is also an Army Reserve component as well (federal mission, but similar setup as the National Guard). I would encourage your son to do as much research as possible on goarmy.com and any of the other branches' websites about the benefits and career choices. I guarantee that whatever interests him, the military offers it as a job. I hope this helps at least a little bit. I get excited when I hear people wanting to join the military.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Thanks. He's learned a lot of discipline already from the program he has completed. I want and I believe he wants to continue on the right path. He had me buy him a weighted vest so he can run with it on to simulate running with his supply back pack.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
i generally don't recommend going enlisted to anyone. I would say if he really wants to join get his education first and go officer.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Don't go into the Army. If he does, definitely do not go National Guard if he has discipline issues. It won't be enough to keep him on the straight and narrow. Go active duty, learn something useful/applicable to the civilian world, and do your minimum commitment. Living in the barracks sucks (at least it appears like it does), but it's not much different than college dorms. Sadie is right, if possible, go officer. Pays better, and it set me up for an awesome job now that I'm a civilian again.

evolve

Established Member
i generally don't recommend going enlisted to anyone. I would say if he really wants to join get his education first and go officer.
Agreed if possible. I enlisted 14 years ago and am now an officer in the Navy. I had no degree when I commissioned. Only in the Navy will you find that hard work can earn one a commission (less Chief Warrant Officer). Its a great path if he has some moxie. PM me if you need any more info.

Last edited:

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
I kind of see a double edged sword here. If he goes reserves or National Guard and goes back to his old ways he could find himself in double the amount of trouble. He will still be able to go to college but he will be around the same crowd of people that started the problems. Active duty is always an option but then he will be away and around a whole different set of challenges. Being away from home, having some disposable income, and a lot of free time can be a lot to take in for someone young. I highly encourage military service, hell I've been doing it long enough, but some people have unrealistic expectations for the discipline it gives you. This is a whole new, softer military.

blksnke2

Established Member
I kind of see a double edged sword here. If he goes reserves or National Guard and goes back to his old ways he could find himself in double the amount of trouble. He will still be able to go to college but he will be around the same crowd of people that started the problems. Active duty is always an option but then he will be away and around a whole different set of challenges. Being away from home, having some disposable income, and a lot of free time can be a lot to take in for someone young. I highly encourage military service, hell I've been doing it long enough, but some people have unrealistic expectations for the discipline it gives you. This is a whole new, softer military.

I was about to ask you how you have a 2000 Skyline but then realized your location...haha

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Well because he was on ADHD medicine he has to be off a year before he can enlist. He talked to an Army recruiter and that was what he was told. He'll also need a note from the prescribing doctor stating it's ok for him to be off. He's been off of his medication for over a month and he seems fine to me. His plan is to go full time Army and work in diesel mechanics.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Well because he was on ADHD medicine he has to be off a year before he can enlist. He talked to an Army recruiter and that was what he was told. He'll also need a note from the prescribing doctor stating it's ok for him to be off. He's been off of his medication for over a month and he seems fine to me. His plan is to go full time Army and work in diesel mechanics.

That is quite possibly one of the worst decisions ever. Look I get that you want your son to have some discipline. But you are literally helping him into a life with more negative effects than positive. The military is in a very shitty spot right now and the suck is real.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

Pretty much this. You get some discipline in basic training, but from then on its all self-driven and depends on the individual unit's leadership. So many quality warriors have gotten out the past 10 years causing it to go to shit and lead to a very soft environment. We need to be leaner and meaner than ever before, and it just isnt going to happen with our current mindset.

Users who are viewing this thread