Advice/Knowledge on Boost Bypass (Eaton)

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Basically us V6 guys that have a eaton swapped onto our junk are having a little debate right now regarding the boost bypass on an eaton and how it works, and the best way to route vac/boost lines.

Reference thread here: PSA: Proper M112 Boost Bypass Actuator Vac Lines

Anyway I would like everyones opinion here on this subject as well. Let me post my latest insight from that thread in case you dont want to read it:

Well I added a line from the bottom port to the intake, about the only difference I can tell is that it seems more ... smooth. Boost seems to build more smoothly resulting in ... I dont know how to really describe in properly other then smooth lol. I also noticed more spark knock though. Which doesnt really mean anything as ive been having that issue for a while. It wasent any worse then normal.

It was a really short test drive so hard to tell if anything really changed yet. Didnt even get up to full normal op temp.

*edit*

So I think I may have just figured out why my IATs are so high after researching how this ****ing bypass thing works. Some time ago I read on svtp how to adjust the actuator so boost would build quicker by loosening the bolts, adjusting the actuator until it barely rested on the stop, then retightening. I never put two and two together until now. When I hit the pedel even just a bit vac goes from -20ish to to -10-0 vac. Thus the bypass closes. Even though im not technically in boost its creating excess and causing the blower to heat up improperly when infact the bypass should still be open until I actually get on the pedal some. I will have to now adjust it back to stock with more preload which should cause boost to come on later. Thus reducing heat during normal driving. To put into perspective how little pedal im using, its about an inch pushed down.

I just finished adjusting the bypass valve back to what I figured stock is. Spring is about 1/4" preloaded. I couldnt test anything because I live in an apartment complex and its dark out now, dont want to piss anyone off. Something else I just realized as well that I think supports this hypothesis. For some time now (I even made a thread about it once on here) I noticed when I blipped my throttle super quickly it would hessitate badly then go back to normal. Im guessing what is happening, is in that split second too much air is trying to be forced in at once because the boost actuator is set to let boost on too quickly. Thus the hessitation. I noticed this did not happen with anyone elses builds except mine. Probably cause im the only tard stupid enough to mess with something I dont understand lol.

I will report back tomorrow with results.

Users who are viewing this thread