Advice Needed !!!

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
guys i need ure advice on this

im no mechanic but ive test driven the svt focus and i was blown away. however, i can get that or i can go and buy a brand new scion tc

ive test driven the tc too but i like the svt better...so, my question is, do u really need to be a mechanic to be able to own an svt? , does it break down alot to be considered a good choice ???... i dont know much about engines and such, as i mentioned im no mechanic lol

thanks guys...

Rob

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
No need to be a mechanic, Ford dealers are everywhere. Just do your due diligence on the auto purchase, Carfax etc, and make sure you pay the right money. The Tc is great, but not as fun as the SVT IMO. E-

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
man who you tellin !
the tc is a lot quieter on the inside though, but i dont really care much for that. i test drove them both, to be honest the svt is a real sleeper, i just wish they still made it cause im not exactly crazy about used cars, and definetly not so crazy about used "performance cars" cause u know how people like to rag on them...

btw: when u rev the svt focus in neutral, when u lift off the throttle it makes this cutting sound, i later learned from the mechanic at the dealer that its normal cause the car has some sort of waste gate on the exhaust...

wat would u look for in a used svt focus before u make a purchase ?

Primaris

Established Member
Rob_eaton said:
man who you tellin !
the tc is a lot quieter on the inside though, but i dont really care much for that. i test drove them both, to be honest the svt is a real sleeper, i just wish they still made it cause im not exactly crazy about used cars, and definetly not so crazy about used "performance cars" cause u know how people like to rag on them...

btw: when u rev the svt focus in neutral, when u lift off the throttle it makes this cutting sound, i later learned from the mechanic at the dealer that its normal cause the car has some sort of waste gate on the exhaust...

wat would u look for in a used svt focus before u make a purchase ?

Waste gate? Huh? Stock there is no waste gate or anything like a waste gate in the exhaust. Check out some of the videos on my site to see what a stock focus can do. The only part that has broken on my car is the alternator. But I have some rattles and creaks which some people would complain about. Some are heat shields which are a common source of noise some are from suspension. My adjustable shocks are the source of the suspension noise. I've also done some cosmetic damage to the car from the way I use it.

I'd look for the standard used car stuff. Oil leaks, unusal wear, signs of over spray, body seam alignment, have a third party mechanic check the car over and the stuff mentioned above.

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
oh crap :uh oh: so ure saying when u rev it , it should get back sounding just like a normal non-perfromance car ???, i have a 98 sable DOHC 3L, it doesnt have that choking sound when i rev it...

funny how these dealers just wanna push the sale regardless, i was gonna go get a loan on it, shes beautiful, 02 with 40k, he wants like a lil over 10k for it, i thought it was an ok deal but now im gonna look elsewhere :read:

anywho, thanx for the advice primaris

PS: im checkin ure website out, lookin good :coolman:

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
I recommend CARMAX. I bought a car from them (Ford Explorer), then I got a part time job there 'cause I wanted some extra dough (part time=30+ hours on top of my full time 40 at NHRA; the wife made me quit after 6 months because I worked 7 days a week and was never home) and I liked the company. While I worked there I bought my SVTF. I paid $12.5K when it was 2 years old with only 19K miles with a 5 year warranty, though I did get an employee discount. I think they have good prices and they check their cars out and they have a return policy and offer warranties. You can always find almost any color SVTF there and if it's not in your area they'll ship it. Check out their site. carmax.com

Primaris

Established Member
Rob_eaton said:
oh crap :uh oh: so ure saying when u rev it , it should get back sounding just like a normal non-perfromance car ???, i have a 98 sable DOHC 3L, it doesnt have that choking sound when i rev it...

funny how these dealers just wanna push the sale regardless, i was gonna go get a loan on it, shes beautiful, 02 with 40k, he wants like a lil over 10k for it, i thought it was an ok deal but now im gonna look elsewhere :read:

anywho, thanx for the advice primaris

PS: im checkin ure website out, lookin good :coolman:

The SVTF should sound like the SVTF. There is no way I can understand what you heard over the net. If you say it sounded like a blow off valve then that is not right, unless the car has an aftermarket turbo on it. A blow off valve tends to have a "Psssh" sound. The SVTF tends to have a poping sound when winding down from upper rpms.

The last person you should be getting advice from is the person selling the car. Take someone with you that knows cars and ask them questions or take it to a different mechanic. The car might be cherry or a lemon, but this facts holds true for new cars too.

Good luck ;-)

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
i talked to my mechanic today, he happens to be pro-japanese when it comes to buyin cars so he automatically was like no dont waste ure money etc etc... i wouldnt want to take him with me and get a biased opinion or something like that, i'll see what i can do about that

my friend got his 02 svtf back in 04 for a little over 10 grand, im guessing he got a good deal because i cant find any 02s for less than 10 grand today ! (great resale value)...wats a good price on an svt these days?

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Primaris said:
Waste gate? Huh? Stock there is no waste gate or anything like a waste gate in the exhaust. Check out some of the videos on my site to see what a stock focus can do. The only part that has broken on my car is the alternator. But I have some rattles and creaks which some people would complain about. Some are heat shields which are a common source of noise some are from suspension. My adjustable shocks are the source of the suspension noise. I've also done some cosmetic damage to the car from the way I use it.

I'd look for the standard used car stuff. Oil leaks, unusal wear, signs of over spray, body seam alignment, have a third party mechanic check the car over and the stuff mentioned above.
If Primaris, has little problems with his Foci, that should be a seller right there. I mean really, watch the man race!!!!!! Hes crazy good, he pushes the SVTFocus to the Max, and yet keeps on carving up the course. Anyway, in my eyes, a used SVTFocus is a better car than a new Scion, not that I dis-like the Tc, but the Foci is a much better built car. Good luck to ya Bro, on whatever you buy :rockon:

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
thanx for the concern 6spd
i want a svtf more than a tc myself, i was just worried cause i dont have that kinda money to throw away on a car that i heard wasnt reliable at first u know

anyways, talkin about good drivers, my friend with the svtf, his user name on here i believe is wrc rush or something close to it , now that guy can drive a svtf i mean i rode with him a couple times, its like he was born to drive that thing, heel-toe, something close to a scandinavian flick but not exactly, lol i mean when u switch the weight distribution of the car before goin into a tight corner at high speeds, watever u call that, but he does that too, i gotta give him props on that...

thanx again for the advice and the help...
later

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
why not get a used mustang gt then? Definitely quicker than the SVTF yet you can find one for pretty decent price. Unless the 10k mark is your limit.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Are you serious? The TC is so fuggin gay! I'm sorry Bro, some one had to say it.

If the car is in good shape, and you run a carfax and it checks out, then look at it as just another car. The SVTF aint no damn Lambo, but they are incredable little cars. Like they said before, look for leaks, sounds, smells, alignments, and "kick the tires". 10K is a decent price for a low mile 02 in good shape. And as far as the exhaust, if it's stock, or even if thier a stupid little fart can on their, the only "strange" noise you should hear is the "snap, crackle, and pop" that the SVTF is so well known for. (And the slow throtle responce, and little drivablility issues, and bad shifter linkage, and a crappy plastic dsi clip, and, well you get the point...)

Over all, hell yea, get the SVTF. You'll never regreat it. Come on, seriously, how can you even compare it to a... Scion.

ha ha ha

Get the SVT dude, you'll love it!

Primaris

Established Member
Wishing4Cobra said:
why not get a used mustang gt then? Definitely quicker than the SVTF yet you can find one for pretty decent price. Unless the 10k mark is your limit.

If you want to go fast in a straight line get the '78 Fairmont aka Mustang. If you want to go fast around the turns get the SVTF. :D

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
Primaris said:
If you want to go fast in a straight line get the '78 Fairmont aka Mustang. If you want to go fast around the turns get the SVTF. :D

LOL primaris

svtf it is :p

just lookin around for a good deal on one and getting some bills payed off and the usual financial stuff we all know about and love so much (not) :lol: , not in a big hurry though... thanx all for the input

Lightningfr

Banned
post the vin # in another forum and ask someone to do a ford oasis check carfax isnt crap compared to oasis i just asked someone to do it for me and alot more indept shows ALL warrenty work all owners everything....
i found a 03 orange svt focus 2dr for 11500 im gettin ready to buy gl with your hunt!
there a pain in the ass to find one really babied!

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
FINALY !

ok guys, I've been looking around for the svtf for quite some time now. None of the ones i came across were clean enough for me to consider purchasing.

all this changed today, i saw an 03 with 32k miles on it, all options except the recaros. test driven it too, it feels brand new. the guy wants 11,900 firm though.

any input ?

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
FINALY !

ok guys, I've been looking around for the svtf for quite some time now. None of the ones i came across were clean enough for me to consider purchasing.

all this changed today, i saw an 03 with 32k miles on it, all options except the recaros. test driven it too, it feels brand new. the guy wants 11,900 firm though.

any input ?

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
FINALY !

any input ?

Users who are viewing this thread