advice on belt change...

bs46488

Established Member
So I have a Vortech V2-SQ on a 2001 GT.

I've had it on for about 15 months and just noticed the belt is getting torn up on the outside edge. Is this normal or should I be looking for something that is causing this problem?

Also, what is the process for a belt change? Do I have to take the whole head unit off?

Sap

Established Member
Yep, time to change it.

Easiest way I found is to unbolt the tensioner first, then the head unit. This releases the slack on the belt and makes routing the new one much easier.

If you forget the routing you can find it on the vortech website. I've had to look it up a few times initially.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Yea, it's a big pain to have to re route the belt. It took me a long time at first, but I've done it so many times now. Whenever I make a long trip, I keep two spare belts with me. The first is a blower belt, in case I shred the belt, and the second is a "short belt" in case anything goes wrong with the blower and I have to take it off temporarily.

It's not a big problem that your belt shreds a little on the sides. It's from bracket flex. It could be worse. If you have bad enough bracket flex, the belt will skip over a rib and shave off an entire rib of the belt.

The best thing you can do is make sure the bracket is bolted down nice and tight, and see if they make any sort of aftermarket "bracket brace"

I know the Vortech brackets are much more sturdy than the Procharger brackets like I have.

Homer

bs46488

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm taking the unit off. I hope the belt will make it to the weekend.

I looked at the belt in detail last night. The entire front rib is eaten away. So there are only 5 ribs left on the belt.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
One time, I had a belt that was so old it split down the middle. And then I shaved off a rib. So, I had a 3 rib belt and a 2 rib belt on it! Haha. I had to take it easy until I got a replacement.

I figured flooring it would be an easier way of removing the old belt. I didn't even make to third gear before the belt shredded.

Homer

Sap

Established Member
While this is one option. I would not recommend it, when the belt shreds its like a weed whacker under your hood.

You'll end up with damage to the under hood, and tons of shredded belt crap all under the hood to clean up, also you run the risk of the shredded belt going around the blower pulley.

When in doubt, change the belt. An hours time and 40 bucks for the belt.

One time, I had a belt that was so old it split down the middle. And then I shaved off a rib. So, I had a 3 rib belt and a 2 rib belt on it! Haha. I had to take it easy until I got a replacement.

I figured flooring it would be an easier way of removing the old belt. I didn't even make to third gear before the belt shredded.

Homer

Users who are viewing this thread