advice on looking at buying a 99 Cobra-

seu318

Established Member
Hello all- long time GT guy here, looking to make the leap to Cobras. - I have no Cobra experience whatsoever, but I am looking at picking up a 1999. However, the seller does not have the SVT certificate. How can I eyeball the car (VIN maybe?) to verify it's authenticity - also - the seller is the second owner and does not know if "the" recall (I did read that much about the '99's) was done. Is there a way to eyeball that as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

urbs4

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Visible things to check for that people don't think to replace is the tail-lights, check the tach for a 7000rpm redline. Check for an IRS rather than a solid axle.

Most all 99 Cobra's had the fix. Check the lower intake manifold just aft of the alternator for a green or blue paint dot. If either are present, the fix was done to the car. Or you can also grab the vin and call SVT, and they'll tell you.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Torch10th said:
Visible things to check for that people don't think to replace is the tail-lights, check the tach for a 7000rpm redline. Check for an IRS rather than a solid axle.

Most all 99 Cobra's had the fix. Check the lower intake manifold just aft of the alternator for a green or blue paint dot. If either are present, the fix was done to the car. Or you can also grab the vin and call SVT, and they'll tell you.
agree with everything, except the redline is really at 6800. just don't want the op to get confused...

seu318

Established Member
thanks for the replies. I went and looked at and drove it last night. Runs real good. The owner says that the engine was replaced some 10K miles ago. It's a 44K mile car with a clean carfax. seems like a good deal at 10.9K. I think I'm going to get it. Thanks again !

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
Be sure and check the Oasis report. Carfax's tend to be pretty unreliable.

302venom

yeah its only a 99..
Established Member
Boss75 said:
Be sure and check the Oasis report. Carfax's tend to be pretty unreliable.

oasis will not tell you accident history only warranty/esp dealer history

302venom

yeah its only a 99..
Established Member
whats the deal with the oil level.im getting a built/blown 99 cobra what to look out for?what should the oil capasity be?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
6 1/2 to 7 quarts minimum. Don't follow Ford recommended 6 qts...real good chance of lunching a rod bearing. Check level weekly.

Users who are viewing this thread